Chapter XVII - Distresses And Desolations

The Lady Knight

9 October, Year 30 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Derelia, Anchorvale

Monrique

Dear Jules,

Frannie and I are well, thank you. I gave birth to a healthy baby boy a fortnight ago. He is the sweetest little thing, Jules, and taking care of him, loving him makes me so happy as I have not been in these last few weeks. We are still thinking of what to name him.

In the meanwhile, each night brings another day, but it does not bring much promise for the future. We are trying to move on from our husbands' deaths, but it is proving to be very difficult for us. The nightmares insist on haunting our dreams every night, and the wounds and the pain are still fresh.

However, we are doing our very best to put this behind us, especially for my baby's sake. I do not want him to have a gloomy childhood merely because of how his father had broken our family.

Frannie, in the meanwhile, is preparing for a baby shower. Although, whom she has invited, and who are all coming is still a mystery to me.

However, if the Prince and yourself will be present in Anchorvale on 8 December, then please do stop by Derelia to offer my baby your blessings. Despite all that he has done, I am sure Lucien would have had liked you both to come, and without a doubt, I myself will be beyond delighted as well.

I hope my letter finds you healthy and well also. I heard about Nick's Potential Quest, and that you have been chosen as his advisor.

My heartiest congratulations to you, Jules. I hope our next Queen would be as kind, loving and caring as the current one, and I am certain that Nick would prove to be wise in his choice of a consort, as much as I am certain that you will advise him most appropriately.

Please convey my best wishes to him, and do let me know if you are able to come for the baby shower as soon as possible. Take care and write soon.

Your dear friend,

Lady Victoria Havelock of Derelia

I smiled faintly. It was our fortune that we would be staying in Anchorvale on that first week of December. I would be honoured and happy to attend, and I was sure the Prince would be, as well. Lucien had been a friend to the both of us.

A lump formed in my throat, as I kept the scroll inside my sack. The nightmares which haunted her dreams every night haunted my own, as well. It was relentless in its pursuit to torment me to insanity, but it was also my main motivation to solve this case.

I sighed again, and closed my eyes for a brief moment, clearing my mind of the endless, badgering thoughts.

"Jules?" someone knocked thrice on my door just then, snapping me out of my reverie.

"Come in!"

The door flung open, and I winced at the sound it made against the wall. Did anyone in Cavarriere treat doors gently?

Camille stumbled into my study. Her brunette locks, which were usually neatly braided across her back, were now flying in all directions. Her pale, yellow gown was rumpled, and her eyes were huge and wild with terror.

To see the normally calm and composed Camille in such a state of disarray was nothing short of a shock. "What happened, Camille?"

"You had better come with me quickly, Jules," she was panting, her face slightly red, probably with exertion from having run up the stairs to my study, "it is the Prince."