Chapter 1

Everyone has a soulmate. That's one of the first things we're taught. The red string of fate that connects us to that one person out in the world that's right for us. And yet, while everyone around me is finding their soulmates here I am alone. It's not that I didn't have the string because I do. No, it's just that maybe my soulmate is far away. That alone makes me kind of depressed because they could literally be anywhere in the world! Letting out a sigh I pull my keys out from my pocket and am about to unlock the door when the door swings open and I almost crash into my mom.

"Finally you're here. Go get changed fast! I'll meet you in the car." but before I can ask what's going on she's already jumped into the driver's seat. Confused I rush to get changed into a black tank, my favorite dark blue plaid sweater and jeans before I rush outside to the passenger's seat.

"Mind telling me what's going on?" I ask as I buckle the seatbelt before turning to face my mom as she backs out of the driveway.

"Well, I totally forgot about this until your father reminded me but we signed up for the exchange program a while ago. So we're housing an exchange student for a year."

"Oh, that's cool. But why?" I ask relaxing back into my seat, as a newfound curiousness and excitement begins to rise in me.

"Well, we felt bad that you couldn't go in the exchange program so we figured that by doing this you'd be able to make some new friends, hear some stories about new cultures and maybe finally get that pen pal you've always wanted," she says and I nod. That all made sense and now that question was answered I felt a hundred more jump into my head. Was it a girl or a boy? What country are they from? Are they nice? What do they like to do? Will they like me?

"So what do you think about this chicken?" I hear my mom's voice snap me out of my thoughts and I direct my attention to her.

"I'm really excited now. I think this'll be really cool." I say a huge smile on my face.

"I do too, and who knows you might even meet your soulmate." she says nudging my arm with her elbow. I can't help but nod, as I look down at the red glowing string wrapped around my left ring finger.

-x-

Finally, we arrived at the airport. My mom walks to the back of the car before pulling out a sign that had some Chinese (I think) writing and English under it. The English read, 'Welcome, to (Country) Zao'. Zao...was that the student's name? I guess I'll just have to wait and find out.

Hurrying after my mom, who is currently cursing about the traffic that caused us to be fifteen minutes late, we finally make it to a tv screen that lists all the plane flights. And apparently, Zao's plane has already landed. In fact, it was landed half an hour ago.

"Shit. We're late." She curses as I gasp slightly when I feel a tug at my hand. Looking down expecting to see someone that grabbed my hand, I see my string shaking violently as if it had a mind of its own.

"Uh, Mom? My uh, my strings acting weird." I say tapping her arm, all the while not taking my eyes off of my string. I hear her gasp. "Wha-"

"I can't believe it. My baby's finally meeting her soulmate!" I feel my heart begin to race when I hear this. I'm finally meeting my soulmate! Looking down at my string I see that that shaking has gotten worse almost so that it looks like it's being possessed.

"W-what do I do!?" I panic the situation finally sinking in.

"Go follow it! I'll look for the exchange student." She says overly excited as I nod before I begin to speed walk, following where the string lead as I hope this lead me to my soulmate. I feel my heart beat faster with every step.

Thud!

Gasping I stumble backward when I bump into someone. "Sorry, I-" however when I look up I see a male a few inches taller than me with dark brown hair in a side ponytail, somewhat tanned skin marked with a dragon tattoo on his right shoulder and a yin-yang symbol on his left arm and abnormal burgundy eyes framed with long dark eyelashes. I look down at my string to see that the shaking has stopped and the end of the string is tied to his left ring finger.

"Huh, you look so pure and innocent, kitten. Never would've guessed you'd be my soulmate." he smirks down and I take a step back in shock my heart somewhat sinking. This is my soulmate! I mean sure he was handsome and hot but from his first words and nickname...I'm not really sure what to think of him. "I'm Zao Wang."

"Uh, wait did...did you just say Zao?" I feel my heart skip a beat, not in a good way. He raises an eyebrow but nods. I see him open his mouth to speak when I hear my mom come jogging over to me.

"Y/n! I think we lost-"

"No, he's here." I state bluntly. This just confuses the both of them. "Mom, this is Zao Wang...my...soulmate."

"Oh...Oh! Nice to meet you Zao, I'm Y/n's mom. I look forwards to getting to know you. And I'm sure she is as well." my mom says shaking his hand as I awkwardly stand there, his eyes haven't left me and I can feel my face begin to turn red. Did I have something on my face? "Well let's get this show on the road. Here I'll take your bags for you."

"It's fine, I got them." he says as my mom insists but he seems to be very persistent and eventually my mom gives in.

"Well, I can already see that you two are more stubborn than a horse." she laughs as we walk out of the airport. However, my mom walks ahead of us and I'm left to walk beside Zao.

"I uh like your dragon tattoo." I blurt out, unsure of what to say which only causes my blush to worsen.

"Hm. Thanks." he smiles down at me. Then it returns to awkward silence again.

"So um, where are you from?" and as soon as I ask that question I feel like dying. How stupid am I? We had a freaking sign in Chinese! Where'd you think he's from Narnia!?

"Originally China. But I lived in San Francisco for most of my life." he says and this catches me by surprise, I mean he had a pretty thick Chinese accent. He seems to see my confused face before continuing. "I lived in a Chinatown there. That's why my accent hasn't disappeared. I spoke Chinese quite often." he chuckles as I mutter a small 'oh'. And before I know it we're at the car.

"That's cool." I say as we get into the car and I can feel my defense slowly fade away with each passing second. Maybe he wasn't so bad after all.

"So Zao, what'd you do before you came here? Did you have a job? What are your hobbies?" my mom asks as she begins to drive out of the airport's parking lot and into the long lane of traffic.

"Well, I had a job of sorts. Don't really have any hobbies well I mean if you count finding my soulmate one. Which I'm glad I did." he says and I feel myself blush.

"Aww, you're too sweet. Y/n, I approve. Gosh, can't wait to see my future grandchildren."

"M-mom!" I exclaim in shock. I can't believe she actually said that. Oh, wait yes I can.

"But not too soon. I want you to graduate high school first. And go to college or university." she says sternly, ignoring my outburst. I can see Zao chuckle amused at my reaction as I bury my face in my hands. This is going to be a long year.

---

First chapter to my 100 follower special! Hope you like it! I probably won't be updating for the next two weeks since exams are coming up. But for now I hope you enjoy it! :)