Chapter Five

It didn't surprise me when I woke up painfully early the next morning. And it didn't help that I remembered Jace and I kissing, the way it felt when he leaned against me, and when he held my hand last night.

Why had he done it though? He was straight. Right?

I sighed and got out of bed, walked over to my brother's room and saw Macie asleep on his bed while he slept on the floor. I smiled at the sight of both of them before making my way downstairs.

Once I got downstairs, I walked over to the fridge, grabbing out an apple and then turning around to see my mum at the table, who looked exhausted. I hadn't even noticed she was sitting there, so I jumped at the sight of her.

"Warn a guy before you go scaring the life out of them at seven a.m., will you?"

Mum grinned at me, putting down the book she was reading. "Sorry, Ashy. I only just got in an hour or so ago."

"Your shift finished at one though, where were you?"

Mum sighed, "I took an extra shift, we need the money. I finished at five."

I shook my head at her, sitting down on a bar stool. "Your body's going to give up on you soon. Stop overworking yourself, Mum."

Mum worked way too hard, my dad really should help her. Not that he cares anyway; he's too busy with his new toy. I never understood people who could cheat on someone and then just leave them, high and dry, like my dad did to my mum. He's an evil bastard, I didn't have a clue why Drew still went and saw him.

I shook my head, ridding it of dark thoughts. Now wasn't the time to get angry at my father. I looked at my mother as she waved away my concern. "It's fine, Asher. Someone needs to pay for you boys. Is your brother still asleep?"

"Yeah, he is. So is Macie."

"With Drew? So you made up with her?"

I nodded at her. "Yeah. Drew's on the floor. He looked uncomfortable."

Mum laughed. "I swear that boy has a crush on her!"

"No way!" I replied, choking on my apple. It wasn't possible that Drew liked Macie, he seemed happy for her that she was dating Louis.

"Well, I think so. Now, I'm going to sleep. Don't get into trouble today." She warned, getting up from her seat and yawning.

I grinned at her. "No promises."

"Why can't you just be a good boy, like your brother?" Mum joked, ruffling my hair and left the kitchen. I hated seeing her so exhausted. She didn't deserve it. I finished my apple before going over to the couch, deciding to play GTA 5 until someone woke up. I was kinda hoping that Macie would be awake before I was, since she had fallen asleep earlier, but I knew alcohol affected her big time.

An hour later, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. I looked over and saw Macie and Drew. Drew came over and jumped onto the couch, grabbing the other controller and playing with me.

"Hey, I'm sorry Ash, but I have to go meet Louis," Macie said apologetically, coming over and hugging me from behind. I felt sadness tug at me when she mentioned Louis but I shoved it away before it could evolve into anything worse.

"Alright. Have fun." I waved at her, watching her leave.

"Hey! Don't steal my car!" I yelled at Drew, turning my attention back to the game.

"Shut up! Mum's sleeping!" He said in a hushed voice just as his phone started to ring.

He picked it up. "Hey Jace." Pause. "Yeah, you can come over now, if you want. "

There was another pause. "Yeah, Ash is here." I perked up at the use of my name. I felt a happy feeling tug at my heart at the thought of Jace. Maybe I could really try and get over Louis.

Maybe.

"Sure, see ya then," Drew said before hanging up and turning to me. "He wants to see you." I nodded at Drew, not asking him why although I secretly hoped it was about last night.

We played the game for a little longer before there was a knock at the door. Drew got up and opened it, revealing a very tired looking Jace. He came into the house, his eyes landing on me immediately.

"Ash, we need to talk." He said to me, not even bothering to even greet Drew. I nodded and got up, ignoring Drew's confused look. He wasn't used to not being in the loop, especially when it came to Jace.

Jace and I went up to my room. He shut the door behind us and then turned to me. His eyes had a sad and sort of desperate look in them that piqued my curiosity. What happened?

"Do you remember last night?" He asked, raking a hand through his hair and biting his lip. Was he on something? I had never seen him look this anxious before.

I reluctantly nodded and watched as Jace's eyes grew darker.

"Everything?" He asked.

"Everything." I wondered where this was going.

"You know I only did that to find out your sexuality right? I'd hoped that you were too drunk to remember." He said.

It took a moment for what Jace had just said to sink in and when it did, anger overcame me. Was he being serious?

"What? You're lying, aren't you?" I said desperately. Why was I so attached already? I didn't know the answer, but I hated myself for it. Jace looked emotionless, although I could see something in his eyes that made me wonder if he was really just using 'trying to find out my sexuality' as an excuse. I mean, he kissed a guy and he's only ever identified as straight. That would be a shocker.

"No, I'm not. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to! I was just curious." He said, with a guarded expression. I walked over and shoved him. How could he? Was he being serious? What an asshole.

"You could have just asked!"

"Dude, you didn't need to do that. I said I'm sorry, calm down. I'm going downstairs." He said, glaring at me, then left my room.

I sat down on my bed and cradled my head between my hands. At the very least, I thought he was my friend and even though something in his story didn't add up, I was still angry.

I was an idiot. Who lets a known fuckboy, fuck them over?

God.

Question: What do you think the deal with Jace is?

Edited by: LarryShipSails

So Jace is being a real dick right now, and I know a lot of you probably kinda hate him lmao, but there's a reason for it. You'll find out soon enough, I promise, just continue reading lol. Stay safe and be happy, and if you're not, I'm always here for y'all!! :)