Chapter 18

Sophie knew how much can change in just three months. What she didn't know was that, when nothing eventful was happening, three months can also pass by in just a blink of an eye.

Sophie sat at the table, eating her breakfast, as she was thinking about how the past few months had been.

And nothing had changed. Biana and Sophie were on good terms, but they hardly talked anymore or spent time together outside of school. It seemed like there was a tension between them ever since they had that fight during study hall, months prior, and it was keeping them apart. Sophie didn't like it, but in a way, staying away from Biana helped her start to move on from Fitz.

"Are you okay?" Edaline asked, taking a bite out of her food.

Sophie nodded, dragging her fork across her food. "Yeah, just thinking."

Edaline was getting bigger and bigger the closer her due date came. She was about seven months along, already. That didn't stop her from helping out in the pastures, however--though it did encourage Grady and Sophie to help her out a lot in order to put less strain on her (she refused to stop working no matter how much her family told her to stop).

"How come you don't hang out with your friends anymore?" she asked, looking at Sophie with knowing eyes.

Sophie looked away from her, not knowing if she should explain everything or gloss over the truth. She decided to go with the latter. "We all have just been focusing on school work."

Edaline sighed, attempting to give Sophie the puppy eyes look, but Sophie didn't give in. Instead, she got up.

"Speaking of, I should probably get headed there now."

Edaline rolled her eyes with a smile. "Okay, Sophie. Have a g—OW!"

Sophie's eyes widened at the sound of Edaline's groan of pain and rushed towards her. "Mom! What's wrong?"

Edaline's eyes were shut tight as she shook her head and let out another groan.

"Grady!" Sophie screamed. "DAD!"

The next few moments were a blur as Grady rushed in and called Elwin.

"What happened?" Grady asked, frantic with wide eyes.

"I—I—I don't know!" Sophie let out, feeling tears prickle her eyes. "We were just talking and then—"

Edaline let out another yelp and Grady picked her up bridal style and took her to the living room. A few seconds later, Elwin arrived and immediately started using his goggles with bright lights to figure out what was wrong.

Eventually, he mumbled, "But it's too early."

"What?" Grady questioned. "What's too early?"

Elwin sighed and gave a quick glance over to Sophie before facing Grady. Quietly, he mumbled something to Grady that Sophie was unable to make out.

"What's going on?" Sophie asked, moving closer to them.

Grady looked over at her and, with the sad expression on his face, Sophie knew something was really wrong. Elwin started giving Edaline elixirs to help but waited until Grady took Sophie out of the room really start doing anything.

"What's going on?" Sophie repeated, desperate.

"You're going to Everglen for tonight," Grady let out, already expecting Sophie's protests.

"What?! No! I could help! I could inflict—"

"Sophie." Grady's hardened eyes and low tone got Sophie to stop. She had never seen him this serious—even with all the times she's disobeyed him and nearly gotten herself killed. "Please."