Chapter 10 - Ball? Like a Sphere?

"Sophie."

"Sophie, wake up."

"Sophie!"

Sophie finally jolted awake, feeling someone shaking her and whispering her name very loudly—right next to her poor ears. She rubbed the sleep away from her eyes as she sat up, feeling groggy. "What time is it?"

"Time for you to get ready for school," Grady told her. "You'll be late."

Sophie checked the time and her eyes bulged. "OH NO!" she whisper screamed, tentative to the sleeping, pregnant Edaline next to her.

Grady chuckled quietly to himself as he helped Sophie jump off the bed.

* * *

"Are you excited?!" Sophie heard Biana exclaim behind her as she was taking her necessities out of her locker.

Sophie gave her a puzzled look to answer with, "For what?"

She gasped, looking as if Sophie had wasted a whole bottle of glitter. "For the ball!"

Panic arose in Sophie's chest as she stuttered out, "Wh—why are you excited about a sphere?"

"What? No," Biana said, shaking her head quickly. "A gala!"

Sophie groaned. "Since when was there supposed to be a gala?"

Biana raised a perfectly trimmed eyebrow. "Didn't you get the scroll?" Sophie's look of question was the answer Biana needed. "This morning, they sent a scroll to everyone who applied for their matchmaking lists. There's going to be a ball here so that elves can meet people on their lists and it isn't as nerve-wracking as having a gala dedicated to only you."

Thank goodness, Sophie thought, shuttering at the thought of holding a dance everyone was attending just for her. "I was in a rush this morning. I guess I didn't see it."

Biana furrowed her brows. "Everything okay? Why were you rushing?"

"Uh . . . I don't think I can tell you yet," Sophie mumbled, not wanting to spoil Edaline's happy surprise.

"Please?" she begged, her teal eyes portraying puppy dog eyes.

Sophie sighed. "Okay, but you can't tell anyone. Not ever your parents."

"Yay!" she squealed, clapping her hands together a couple times.

Sophie lowered her voice so that it was hardly audible. "Edaline's pregnant."

"Oh. I thought you were going to say you finally got together with my brother," she mumbled. But then her eyes lit up and Sophie had to cover her scream. "I can't believe it!" she whisper squealed.

The chimes ring, signaling class will start soon, and Biana and Sophie start making their way to their classes.

"I know, right?!" Sophie whisper-squealed back.

"They don't know if it's a boy or girl yet, right?"

Sophie nodded. "Right."

Biana started bouncing. "Ah! This is so exciting! I can't wait for you to be pregnant with Fitz's baby! Babies are just so adorable!"

Biana laughed when she saw Sophie's tomato cheeks. "Relax. I'm kidding . . . a little."

They parted ways and Sophie felt too flushed at Biana's comment to say a simple "Bye" or "See you later." She was so distracted that she didn't notice someone was in her way and accidentally bumped into them.

"Sorry," she mumbled before realizing who it was. And the look on her face made Sophie think that she bumped into her on purpose. "Stina."

"Sophie," she sneered. It was only the two of them in the hallway, and Stina took notice and made an expression Sophie figured was supposed to be her smirking. "Is it true?"

Sophie wasn't completely sure what she was referencing to—her and Fitz, or the baby. Either way, she didn't want to answer, so instead she said, "I have to get to class," and brushed past her.

Stina only turned around to look towards a rushing Sophie and said, "It won't last long, you know."

But Sophie ignored her and kept walking.

"I mean, just because you two are friends now, it doesn't mean it'll work out. Cognates end up just preferring to stay just as friends."

Sophie stopped at that.

Stina made her supposedly-a-smirk expression, knowing she had Sophie's attention. "Just ask him."

Sophie turned to look at Stina, clenching her jaw. But rather than letting a colourful string of words come out of her mouth, Sophie instead chose to say, "At least he'll still be my friend, and not someone who thinks I'm annoying and indecent. That's what he thinks of you now. Just ask him."

Stina's stunned expression should have brought Sophie some satisfaction, Sophie thought. But instead, it did the opposite. Instead of just ignoring her, Sophie stooped to her level and insulted her.

"You think you're above us all, don't you?" Stina retorted back, her blush toning down a bit. "Just because you choose to go out and break the law. Things always work out for you."

Sophie almost laughed as she turned away and started heading back to class. "In the end, I guess they always do. But it's torture getting there." 

~*~

Thank you for reading, commenting (I really do read--and enjoy reading--every single comment posted so please comment!!), and voting! 

Question: which ability/skill would you want from the Keeper world?

Song: Halsey - "Now or Never"

Thanks, lovelies! -Nuela <3
Edited by EllenH2006