Gone

Gone.

It was all gone.

Everything I had worked so hard to build had disappeared before my very eyes. Hopeless and useless didn't even begin to describe the emotions I was feeling at this very moment.

I stood a small way away from the disastrous sight, tears streaming uncontrollably down my small, ash-coated face. I tried, heavens above did I try to save them.

My children.

All trapped within the red hot inferno we used to call home. None of them stood a chance, they couldn't even walk yet. Hadn't even had a chance to begin their beautiful lives.

To grow.

To love.

To build their own home and start their own family.

Their lives were snuffed out by matters beyond anything I could control.

I the beginning I had cried out for help, pleaded with those around me to provide assistance in rescuing my babies, but they all scurried away, more concerned about their own well being. None answered the call to become a hero and put someone else's life before their own.

None.

The home I had built all on my own with plans of having a family had vanished. The fire that took everything away from me had burned so hot nothing remained.

No help had arrived, no one was around to ask about my well being.

My tears.

My heartache.

I couldn't bear to look at the now vacant spot that, only minutes ago, held so much promise, happiness and love within it.

Turning away, I spotted the culprit, the reason for my instantaneous depression, laughing mere metre from the destruction he had caused. My blood boiled, this evil hooligan was laughing while I mourned the loss of everything I had held dear. My own home, my own family and the ability to provide a safe haven for my children.

I could still smell the smoke, feel the heat from the flame. Revenge clouded my judgement as I ran towards the boy, who didn't even seem to notice me. My mother would be ashamed of my actions and I'm not all that proud of the either but I was unable to think as I opened my mouth and bit down hard on the youths leg, feeling the venom trickle out of my fangs. And into the fresh would I had just created.

Only a moment of satisfaction filled me before I realised what. I had done. Knowing that my venom was deadly, I had bitten this boy - sentencing him to death. Regret and guilt over cake me as I ran away as quickly as my legs could carry me. Even though this boy, this child, had destroyed my life in a matter of seconds that didn't give me the right to take his life.

Seem where, that child had a mother,and she would be feeling the same emotions that I'm feeling now. My acts, though, couldn't be undone, as much as I may wish it to be so.

Gathering my remaining energy, I climbed a nearby tree and set about making myself somewhere to sleep. Slowly spinning and creating a new home for myself.

A new web where I could possibly lay some eggs and try to start my own family again. Not anytime soon, but it might be nice in the future.

For now I need to come to terms with all I've lost, everything that has transpired in such a brief amount of time and the possibility I may have caused another mother to lose her child.

Perhaps if the boy finds help quickly enough he will survive the poison now running through his veins and towards his heart. Maybe he will learn a valuable lesson that whether large or small, human or spider, we all have a right to live our lives without fear.