Chapter Five - The Cross

Shiloh’s POV:

“Hey Shiloh can you grab the static night vision cameras?” Zak asked while looking at the clipboard checking things off the list.

“Yeah sure.” I walked over to the black case in the back of the van and opened it. There were six cameras and I started checking the batteries. I felt a hand on my left shoulder. Quickly turned around which brought me face to face with Nick.

“I’m sorry.” He muttered.

I knew exactly what he was apologizing for, “Forget about it, okay? It wasn’t your fault.”

“Yes it is I was weak and I allowed it to control me.” He argued as he crossed his arms in front of his chest.

“Nick I forgive you and here,” I took off my necklace which held a gold cross, “my father gave it to me the day I got out of the hospital. It was suppose to supply me with protection. I usually don’t wear but today felt like I needed it or someone else needed it.” I clipped it around his neck, “I guess it was meant for you.”

He held the cross in his hand, “Thank you. What about you?”

“My life was already chosen for me. I was destined to walk into that church and have those things happen to me. If you think about it. If I didn’t I would have never met you guys.” I sadly told Nick.

Nick looked at me and embraced me in a big hug, “I wish I can do something to help.”

“There isn’t much to do to help me except for me to keep running.” I just shrugged my shoulders as I sadly looked up at him.

As soon as I said that I realized something. There is absolutely nothing I can do. If I run he will run after me, if I hide he will find me, and if I stay here he will kill my friends. He will kill Zak who I truly fallen in love with, Aaron who has become my best friend who I can count on. Nick though, has been my true friend in all this because he could’ve told Zak that he got possessed and convince the group to get rid of me. But he didn’t instead he had stuck by my side and I appreciate everything he has done for me. So now I know what has to be done.

“Nick grab the rest of the equipment and come over here.” Zak called out.

“See you in a bit.” Nick gave my shoulder a light squeeze and walked off.

Zak’s POV:

My eyes kept drifting towards Shiloh and all I wanted to do was to be near her. I wish I can hold her and protect her. We have an hour before we do our lockdown. Who knows what will happen tonight. Nick was standing beside me and noticed something dangling from his neck. I looked closely and it was a gold cross, “Where did you get that from?”

Nick grabbed the necklace and tucked it in his shirt, “Shiloh let me borrow it for protection.”

I couldn’t help but laugh, “Since when do you feel like you need protection. You’re a hunter who hunts ghost this stuff never bothered you before.”

 He looked at me like if I was an idiot, “Do you remember what we are going through here? Shiloh might be killed tonight or sometime in the future because there is a demon that is out to get her.”

I was surprised how Nick answered me, “Yeah I do realize that and that’s why we are going to keep her safe. I’m not an idiot okay.”

Nick just rolled his eyes and started carrying all the stuff to the doors. I just walked away from him. I saw Aaron by the van but no sign of Shiloh.

“Um, Aaron where is Shiloh?”

“She went to walk around the building just check some things out.” He told me and went back to doing whatever he was doing.