Chapter 4

It took five days for my body to heal, well enough for me to go back to school. The bruises were barely noticeable now, and the cut was healing nicely. Nine days until I will make my escape, and walk down the road, towards a better future. I was excited, because this meant I could do what I want, and get a job. I was scared though. I never was on my own. I only went to school and came home. At school I ignored everyone, I couldn't let anyone get close.

What if I couldn't do it? What if I starved to death, or couldn't find a job? It doesn't matter, I told myself. Anything would be better than this. I know I have to start planning soon. I needed to know what I would need for the trip. I decided to make a list;

1. Duffel Bag

2. Cloths

3. Water

4. Canned food items

5. Tooth brush & Tooth Paste

6. Hair brush

7. Money

8. Toilet paper

9. Identification

Everything on the list  isn't too heavy. I decided that these are essential and I needed them to live. I thought about transportation. Am I going to walk, or take a bus? If I walked it would take a long time to get anywhere. But if I took a bus, then someone would be able to track me. I couldn't figure this out. I don't want to do this now. But I have to. To save my life, I can't stay here. It's not healthy. I would rather live on the streets.

I hid the the list under my mattress, and walked to the kitchen. My stomach was growling, and I noticed I haven't eaten anything in the last 2 days. My head hurts uncontrollably. I opened the fridge, and found some eggs. I put them on the counter, and then looked for some bread. I found some in the cupboard, but it had a bunch of green spots on it. I decided I would just have eggs.

                          I turned the oven burner on, and cracked the eggs on the side of the pan. I dropped the eggs in, and watched them cook. They sizzled, and the smell made me 10 times hungrier. I tapped my fingers on the counter impatiently. I grabbed a spoon and flipped them. I watched them for a second, and sighed in frustration. I broke the yoke, and the yellow creamy substance broke away from the egg whites.

I waited while they cooked, and grabbed my plate. I took the eggs, and plopped them on my plate, and set them on the table. I looked in the fridge for something to drink, and had to settle for water. Figures I wouldn't get lucky enough for eggs AND a milk. I ate the eggs quickly, and washed my dish. Figuring, I would have to do it tonight anyway. I smiled thinking. I wouldn't be here much longer.

Walking into the living room, I sat on the couch, and thought about the up coming week. I know I have to get the supplies, but where? I still have money from all of my birthdays, and some left over from my job at the ice cream shack. That would help, but it wouldn't keep me alive for the rest of my life. I walked into my room and found my stash of money, in the teddy bear, my dad had got me, right before leaving.

 I  never really knew my dad, I mean I've met him berfore, but he left when I was four months old. He said he couln't handle my mother. But what I don't understand is why did he leave me? He could have taken me with him, and none of this would have happened. I can't exactly blame him though, if I had a choice I wouldn't have stayed either.