Chapter 1

I heard a car pull into the driveway and I knew I was in trouble. The house was still a mess, and I was going to be punished for it. I peak outside of the window to see Max, my mom’s boyfriend of 4 years. I don’t know what she sees in him. I absolutely loathe him. It didn’t matter though, anything and everything I tell her, she doesn’t believe. I was still looking out of the window, and noticed he had a 12 pack of Bud Light. Great. Even better. I run to my room.

When I get inside I  slam the door shut, and lock it. I know it won’t hold against Max, but at least it will postpone him. I grab my blankets, and scramble under the bed. Getting as close as the wall as I can, I put the blankets in front of me. This way, whatever of my body is exposed will be protected by the blankets.

 I heard the front door slam, and I could just make out Max’s boots hitting the floor.  

“What the fuck Ashley, why isn’t this god damn house cleaned?! I told you I wanted it done by the time I got home!”  Max screamed, walking down the hallway towards my room.

  It wasn’t my fault the house wasn’t clean. Max through a huge party last night, and everyone left everything everywhere. There were beer cans lying on the floor, cigarette butts thrown wherever they felt like putting them, and trash everywhere. Max told me it was my job to clean the house last night, and I fell asleep cleaning. I didn’t even finish the cleaning. Also I had a lot of homework to do, and didn’t get to do it. There for my teach gave me an “after school detention”.  After my detention I didn’t have enough time to clean the rest of the house.

BAM! BAM! BAM! Max was pounding on the door, as hard as he could. He was twisting the handle so bad, that I thought knob was going to break right in his hand.

“Open this fucking door this instant, you little whore! “ He yelled, venom filling his voice.

I try to hide even farther under my bed, but the wall mocks me by pushing back, telling me I can’t go any farther. He was throwing his body against the door now, attempting to break it down. He is very riled up this time; I won’t be able to cover it up this time.   

“Ashley I swear to God, you're going to get it good this time. If you can’t do a simple task as cleaning then why should we keep you around?! You are worthless! You can’t do anything.” He howled, throwing his body at the door one last time.

Crack! The wood split, and he fell through the door. I was trying not to breathe loud, but being in this tight of a space, and being claustrophobic, isn’t a good combination. I held my breath, while I looked at his feet walking across my room. I heard my closet door being opened, and then slammed shut.

“Ashley, Be a good girl, and come out for Max.” He said innocently, trying to lure me out.

I saw him get on his knees, and then I saw his face peek under my bed. I saw his eyes. They screamed danger.

I watched as they slowly zeroed in on me, and I saw his mouth slowly turn into a smile. “Ashley, sweetie, I’ve been looking everywhere for you.” He said, reaching for my foot.  Just as he was about to grab my foot, I lifted my foot and kicked him right in the face. His nose cracked, and blood automatically poured out. 

“ Ow!! God damn it. You little bitch!!  “He screamed, lunging at me.

But he was too late. I was already on my way out from under the bed.  I started to run, but he grabbed my foot, and I fell hitting my head off of the side of my dresser. I felt the blood trickle down the side of my head, but I knew I had to keep going, or I wouldn’t get up when he was done.

“You fucking bitch! You broke my nose! You’re  going to learn to obey my rules!” He spat, clenching his fist, and punching me in my stomach as hard as he could.

The wind flew out of my lungs, and I sat there for a minute, dazed.

That didn’t stop Max though. I could feel him kicking my ribs, and my head. I rolled over, and tried to crawl. He came up behind me, and grabbed my hair. He threw his fist back, and hit me square in the nose. I heard a horrendous crack, and realized it was my nose. Blood gushed out of my nose, drenching me.  

 The sight made me dizzy, and the room started to spin. My head was throbbing , but he still kept coming. I couldn’t think anymore. “ You stupid bitch, you are worthless, you shouldn’t never have been born. I will fix your idiotic momma’s mistake. She should have gotten rid of you years ago!” He roared, picking me up and throwing me on my bed. My head hit the bed frame, and I became numb. I couldn’t see and I couldn’t hear. I slowly drifted unconscious.