Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I wake up staring at the ceiling thinking. Elijah can't make me love him again. All he can do is hope that I do again.

How will he make it up to me. Sure he can try and stop treating me like a slave and ordering me around but I need more than that.

I sit up in my bed as I hear three knocks on my door. The door opens and first thing I see is a tray with scrambled eggs on a plate and a glass of orange juice.

Sure, I may be immortal and drink blood for a living but that doesn't mean I can't eat mortal food.

I look up at the person holding my breakfast and see Elijah. I give him a small smile, "Thank you."

He sits down in front of me and grins, "Princess," he stops when I sigh and he stops smiling, "what is the matter?" He asks tilting his head to the side.

"It's just-" I sigh again, "the nickname 'Princess' annoys me. It's like-" I look down at my food and play around with it, "it's like you are treating me like I am your daughter." He mumbles something to himself. "What did you say?" I ask frowning.

"Nothing" he says quickly looking at me. I could see anger in his face but then he covered it up with a smile. "Tonight, I am taking you into the woods, hunting."

Huh? Me? Hunting? Woods? What the...yeah sure, I have wanted to go hunting for...well, the majority of my vampire life and he has always said no. What's changed?

I sit gobsmacked as he hands me my breakfast tray and walks out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him. I shake off my suspicions and begin scoffing my breakfast.

I quickly finish my meal and am still starved. I get up and walk out the door and into the hallway. I make my way down the stairs and into the basement.

I open up a fridge and see that it is filled with blood bags. My stomach grumbles and I quickly pick one up. I rip the plug off and start drinking through the tube like its a straw.

The blood tastes sour and it is sticky because it isn't fresh. But something is different, it's salty and gives me a burning sensation in my throat. I shrug my shoulders. I'm hungry so I keep drinking.

I have wanted to go hunting for so long. I want to have a taste of an animals blood. Fresh blood. I hope it tastes better than the stuff in this blood bag. Maybe it will be better than fresh human blood, but that would be very hard to beat.

I have never been because Elijah is so protective. I often wonder why. I am able to look after myself. If only he could get that through that thick head of his. Ugh.

The others always go hunting and bring back something to feast on but they always bring it back blood dry.

When they catch their food, they drink it dry before anyone else. When they bring the dry creature back, we cook it and eat it for dinner, at a table and all. It makes us feel just that little bit human.

Yes we chose who we are. Well I did anyways, but people have regrets. I asked Elijah to turn me, back when we were in love.

He was my first love. Most people might find their first love in High School, but no, not me. I was 23 when he found me.

Everything was perfect back then. I was a normal human being. Working of a day and going on dates with my boyfriend of a night. He would tell me his secrets. Tell me he loves me. HELL! He'd actually talk to me! But now...things have changed. I don't know how or why but...all I know is that I have lost him.

Maybe it is time for me to let go. Let go of him. Let go of the past and just move on...

I finally finish my meal and head upstairs.

----

"Nadia!" I hear someone's voice screeching in my ears. "Nadia! Wake up!" The voice finally sounds recognisable.

I open my eyes, blinking constantly, focusing my blurred vision of the cherry red head above me. Lilith.

I sit up and realize that I am at the bottom of the staircase that leads to upstairs. What the hell? A sudden throb in my head begins. I place my hand on the back of my head. Ouch! Pulling my hand away, I see my blood on it. Why has it not healed yet?

"Come on let's get you upstairs" says Lilith in a sweet tone.

I get up slowly, my body aching. "Lilith could you please tell me what the fuck just happened?"

"I have no idea. I just found you unconscious at the bottom of the stairs. My guess is that you lost your footing on your way up and fell." She tries to explain.

She takes a deep breath and then scrunches her face up.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Vervain." She grabs my wrist and holds it up to her mouth.

"What are you..." I stop when she sinks her teeth into my skin. "OUCH!" I pull my hand away.

She spits the blood out of her mouth. "Yep definitely vervain."

My legs are a little shaky, but I walk over to the bin that I threw the blood bag in. I pick it up and have a sniff. The smell burns the inside of my nose. I nod my head agreeing with Lilith.

"That would explain the saltiness and the burning in my throat." I say as realization hits me.

Vervain is a type of plant that looks a little like lavender. It's kind of like how garlic is used to keep away the vampires in movies.

I don't actually know what it feels like to touch vervain, all I know is that I should stay away from it.

"So someone poisoned me?" I ask. Lilith nods her head. "Great," I say sarcastically.

Normally vervain mixed with blood would only weaken a vampire but since I drank a whole bag my body couldn't handle it and just went into sleep mode. A whole bag of a blood vervain mixture is like having a 50 ml syringe of pure vervain juice.

I still feel weak. Lilith helps me up the stairs and takes me to my room. "Rest Nadia." She says leaving the room.

How could someone do this. It's not like I have any enemies here. Everyone likes me or so I thought.

Getting tired I tuck myself into bed and take a nap.