Family Gathering

Joseph's POV

Pulling into my parents driveway and I could see this was some "family" gathering, probably just some of his colleagues. Jackie's words were still replaying in my head "Actions speak louder than words" She made a good point and I was going to do my best to prove myself worthy. I was not going to mess this chance up. I saw that Kelsey's car was here so I quickly got out, I don't want her telling my dad anything before I got a chance to.

Walking to the house I could just smell the great food. My mom wasn't much a cook when I was younger I had a nanny who fed me and cooked for us. She was my only motherly figue to me when growing up, my real mother was around but she wasn't as involved. My dad helped my nanny make her own resturant since cooking was her passion. I quietly got a small spoon about the taste her sweet potato suffle. "Joseph if you don't back away from that sweet potato this instant I'll go and get one of your belts." She said facing the stove, I never understood how she always knew I was here. She turned around and smiled.

"How's my Joey doing?"

"I'm good Ms. Mae. How are you and the resturant?"

"We're great, you haven't dropped by in awhile. Why is that?" she asked cocking her eyebrow.

"I'm sorry Ms. Mae I've just been busy, but don't worry I plan on coming tomorrow night. I want to introduce you to someone." 

"Oh Kelsey? I already met her when she came in. What a sweet girl." she said as she grit her teeth together. "Its okay Ms. Mae, its not Kelsey its someone better. I'm actually in the process of trying to end this engagement with her."

"Well be careful Joseph, you know how your father can be." she said moving to the counter to continue mixing something. "I understand ma'am, I plan on telling him after the dinner. You know after he is full from eating your amazing food." I smiled and she smiled back.

"Joseph you're finally here! I was worried I was going to have to send out a search party for you." Kelsey said walking into the kitchen. I looked down next to me to see Ms. Mae roll her eyes. I quickly grabbed the spoon and took a taste of the sweet potato and ran away. "Joseph I'm going to get you for that!" Ms. Mae yelled from the kitchen. "We've been waiting for you, Joseph." Kelsey said smiling trying to hug me.

"Kelsey what are you doing? We aren't together, the only reason I'm here tonight it because of my parents. I plan on telling them the truth after dinner, so you can stop with facade." I said stepping away from her and entering the living room. "Joseph you finally arrived." my mother said walking towards me. "Sorry I stopped by the kitchen to catch up with Ms. Mae."

"Its okay lets get on with dinner." We all headed to the dining room. Kelsey sat right across me with a smug look on her face. I don't know what she is up to but I know that it won't end well.

"So how has the happy couple been?" my father asked placing his napkin in his lap.

"We've been great sir, the wedding planning is going well too!" Kelsey smiled. The servers started entering the room pouring champagne in our glasses, Kelsy stopped her server. "I'm sorry but may I have a glass of water or maybe some ginger ale, my stomach hasn't been feeling that well."

"Oh dear, are you okay?" Mrs. Andrew asked.

"Yes, I'm fine mother. Its just that I haven't been feeling that well, its probably is some bug. Nothing to worry about." Kelsey said smiling then slowly turned her head to me. "Well lets pray you aren't pregnant, your wedding is in 6 months you wouldn't want to be in a wedding dress while pregnant." her mother laughed and Kelsey put her head down. Her mother must of saw "You aren't pregnant are?"  everyone around the table leaned in to hear. "No. Like I said it's probably just some bug going around."

Everyone leaned back into their seats as the food was served. If looks could kill I would be dead right now, Mr and Mrs. Andrew were staring me down like I committed some crime. Kelsey was amused she kept smirking at me all dinner. "So Joseph how is that school coming along?" Mr. Andrew asked.

"It's coming along great sir, I realize it's only been a month and a half but I can see some major progress. Most students were able to get new lockers, right now we are working on building their stadium and fixing the classrooms. Everything is looking great, the principal of the school Jackie Williams is really trying to help and fix the community. She has spent so much time in working with those students and the families to help any way she could."

"That's not all she does." I heard Kelsey mumble. "I'm sorry, what was that Kelsey?" Mrs. Andrew asked.

"Eh... Umm.. I said that's not she does. From what I've seen she does more flirting with Joseph than actually working..." she drifted off. 

"Oh really?" Mr. Andrew asked looking at me. "Jackie does not flirt with me, she is very professional and focuses on the school and the students." I explained.

"Well that's not what I saw."

"You have only interacted with her like 3 times Kelsey. So it's not like you are there working by her side."

"Not from-

"Everybody for tonight I made 4 kinds of pies. I have Pecan Pie, Apple Pie, Lemon Pie, as well as Peach Cobbler. I know how you love my Lemon Pie Mr. Micheals so I made an extra just for you." Ms. Mae said interruppting Kelsey. I'm pretty sure she interuppted on purpose, Ms. Mae has always been their to save from trouble when I was a child. 

"I think we'll take our pies to go. I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow and I need my rest." Mr. Andrew said getting up from the table with Mrs. Andrew following right behind him. "Yeah I think we will too." some of my dad's collegeus said getting up as well. The guest slowly started leaving while I sat and ate my slice of Ms. Mae's Pecan Pie. My mother gave me a sympathetic look which I didn't understand. 

My parents came back into the room after showing the guest the door. "Dad may we talk in your office?" 

"Yes, I think that would be a great idea." he said grabbing his slice of pie. Entering his office I closed the door and sat down. "I'm calling off the engagment, I don't want to marry or even be with Kelsey." he sat there and began to laugh. "What is so funny? I'm being serious."

"Joseph you actually think I would allow you to just call it off? This merge is very important for our company, I don't understand why you are being so selfish."

"I'm being selfish? You're the one that is trying to force your son into a loveless marrige just so you could join the 1% club." my voice raising in anger

"You will not talk to me in that tone Joseph I am still your father. Kelsey is a good girl why on earth would you want to end things?" he askd taking a bite of his pie.

"Well for one thing she has has been cheating, shes rude, and just isn't a nice person at all. There is no connection between us. I don't see a reason in marrying someone I don't love or even like." 

"You'll learn to love her, all it takes is time. Relationships have their ups and downs."

"Dad I'm not marrying her, you will just have to deal with it. If you wanted more heirs to the family you should of had more kids. This is no longer my problem, I'll work for the company but I am not marrying Kelsey." I said getting up and walking to the door.

"If you walk out this room don't expect anything from me or your mother. You're on your own, I will not have a son of mine disrespect me." 

"I'm a grown man now dad I'm not afraid of you like I use to be. This is my life so stop trying to control it."

_________________________

Any thoughts and opinions about Joseph's dad? What about Mr. and Mrs. Andrews?