Life In Light Years- Chapter Three

A/N: Okay so here is chapter three :) I hope you like it, you find out what they need her for, althought only a little Ethan action (sorry, ladies) xxxxxx

"Why don't you come through to the living room?" Caroline said, gesturing to a room off of the hallway ahead. I nodded and smiled slightly, although as I started to get more nervous about what the alien family required of me, my mouth and throat became dry making it next to impossible to speak.

"Take a seat, please," Ben told me. I hesitantly moved across the room to sit down in a plush looking white leather arm chair which wasn't as comfortable as it had looked. I perched awkwardly on the very edge, my knees pressed together.

"The truth is, we've been having a little trouble with a vehicle which has been spotted near to our house and in the surrounding area. Also, people have been turning up to our house unannounced to fix the heating or check the gas meter when we haven't received any letters. Lu saw one of them going snooping through her bedroom and through other various rooms of the house. I think the government has been tipped off by someone of our whereabouts," Ben said, looking very grave.

"You don't think it was me, do you?" I blurted. It worried that I was in an alien family's house, alone when no one knew I was there. They seemed nice enough but if there was one thing I knew about humans or human-like creatures was that they would do anything to survive.

"Of course we don't, Alice," Caroline exclaimed. "None of us believe that you are capable of betrayal. You saw that we weren't here to kill you all, just to set up a new life and do some research for our home planet. Why would you betray a family that meant no one any harm?" I nodded and swallowed down the nervous lump which had formed in my throat.

"Right. Well, who do you think has told?"

"Ethan, up until a few months ago, was very wild. He brought home a different girl every night after going out and drinking himself stupid. We had no idea what was causing the behaviour but it has stopped now. Anyway, his gallivanting hasn't done us any favours. We think it may have been one of the girls he brought home," Caroline continued. I rolled my eyes. Ethan was clearly a selfish, egotistic man who put his own wants before the safety of his family.

"Okay, so what do you need me for? I want to let you know I am totally willing to help, as long as I have access to a computer. I have a job," I smiled proudly and Ben and Caroline grinned back at me.

"Well, we expect the government to start getting more personally involved soon and well, we'll need your help to blend in and just with various other things. What we're really asking is would you mind staying with us and help us get them to back off," Ben said before adding hastily, "nothing dangerous!"

It wasn't going to be too hard. They were all wonderful people, with the exception of Ethan, the house was wonderful, I would be able to carry on with my job and I would escape Gerald.

"I'll do it," I said.

"We'll pay you, of course! And you don't have to contribute any money towards bills or food or anything like that," Caroline said hastily as she stood up.

"Really? I would feel so much better if you didn't pay me. I want to help you. I'd like to think of this as a voluntary job. I have a paying job already," I said. "And I'd like to contribute to the cost of me living here."

"I'll tell you what," Ben replied as he put his hand on the small of my back to usher me out of the room, "We won't pay you but you'll let us pay all the costs of you living here."

"But-"

"That's my final offer, Alice," he said sternly.

"Fine," I said in defeat.