Chapter4- Bane of my Existance

I grumbled all over the way till Jack’s office, letting Alexandra drag me along while Kostas worked his way behind us. How could I let them convince me? It was stupid enough that I knew I had a human mate; does the State Alpha need to know too? What if he’ll tell my father? I want to see Kostas and Alexandra hiding then, I will surely hunt them down.

We found the office pretty quickly though we had to go through this labyrinth they call a pack house trying to spot his scent. I continued my job of cussing them under my breath for actually making me go with the plan even after we had knocked on the door and waited for an answer. Kostas rolled his eyes at my immaturity and I stung my tongue out at him.

“Just remember that it will be your fault when I come hunting you down” I muttered.

“Yeah, yeah cause you will be oh so much trouble!” He said nonchalantly with a quirked eyebrow.

“Cut it out!” Alexandra hissed in a warning tone just before the door opened.

Out came a guy who couldn’t be much older than us and since all wolves have strong physique he was one fine young man. His brown eyes examined the three of us, all clad in sweatpants and some casual t-shirt –we were supposed to be lounging today- while he was in a tailored suit and frowned.   

“If you are looking for the gym you are nowhere near it. I suggest you go back the way you came from, the door is that way!” He snorted pointing with his finger down the hall.

Both my eyebrows shot up and I exchanged a disbelieving look with Kostas. Or this isn’t a very bright guy or his sense of smell is nonexistent.

“Brian? Who is it?” The baritone voice of Jack sounded somewhere inside.

“Nah, just some kids with zero direction abilities…”

My wolf was on edge since yesterday that was the last straw. None can question our skills was her thoughts.

“Watch it pup!” I growled my wolf’s voice seeping into mine startling Alexandra who looked at me bewildered.

“Be careful Kitty! Let the howls for the adults.” He sneered a laugh.

A thundering growl left my lips at that making him flinch and take a step back and my wolf smiled arrogantly.

“What is going on?” Jack’s head popped behind the door. “Penelope?”

“You know this chick?” The douche Brian huffed side eyeing me. 

“Of course, dumbass” Jack hit the back of his head aggravated making it loll on the spot “She is the future Head Alpha of Greece! Why are you keeping her there?”

Brian lowered his head dumbfounded, his cheeks going flush red and muttered incoherently under his breath while he turned his back and left in a hurry. I snickered. Jack stepped aside so we could get into his office. The light painted room had a dark mahogany desk in the middle, surrounded by many files and three black leather chairs were in front of it. A couch in the same tone was on the side and a white carpet was covering the center of the wooden floor.

“You have to excuse my Beta! He is new to this…” Jack scratched his neck awkwardly.

“This is your beta?” I snorted.

“Unfortunately or not, yes…” He sighted while he took his seat behind the desk.

“Well you sure know how to pick them!” I mouthed sitting without waiting for the go ahead and earning a laugh.

“I am hoping he will learn… in time.”

Kostas got in and stood behind me taking a stiff pose, flanking me; his wolf must be uncomfortable due to the blatant disrespect the other Beta showed us. Alexandra stood to the side fiddling nervously with the hem of her shirt. I craned my neck and look up at Kostas rolling my eyes.

‘Sit down Rover’ I snickered in our mind link referring to him with the name of our dog back home.

He gave me an irritated glare and sat beside me while I wave Alexandra to a seat and she complied. Alexandra wasn’t part of my pack, so I couldn’t talk to her with direct mind link before I succeeded my father as the Alpha officially. She was part of my diseased mother’s pack with her father being the only brother of my mother and the only family from her side still alive.

 “So what can I do for you?” Alpha Jack looked at me with a glimpse of amusement in his eyes probably for my behavior.

“I um…” And there it goes my confident composure out of the window.

I gulped taking a deep breath, trying to figure out how to tell him without letting him know but my mind came up blank. My mouth gaped like a drowning fish. Are fishes even able to drown? A loud ring echoed around the room and Jack’s blue gaze left mine at the same time he did the global signal for ‘’wait a minute”.

“Bane!” he spoke and a deep painfully familiar voice replied making me tingle all over and my ears perked up.

“Austin, how are you? I wasn’t able to find you yesterday.”

My heart did a double beat and proceeded in pounding rapidly in my chest. It was him. My mate. My Austin. I might not have to tell Jack after all.

A long pause followed with only the sound of a slow melodic buzz on the other end of the line. A smile graced Jack’s lips which slowly turned into a deep rumble of laughter. It irritated me to no end because now I couldn’t even listen to the sweet sound of the voice on the line.

Even with our extra senses we couldn’t hear the conversation taking place with the special ordered phone of the Alpha’s office. It was a warrant that the Alpha’s conciliations couldn’t be heard by unwanted ears.

“They did all that in what? Two hours! That is like a new record!” He cackled. “Yeah, yeah I don’t mind, I will call the personnel manager myself and arrange for an open position on your household.”

At that I had completely formed my plan! And it was devious… All I had to find is who the personnel manager was and the position was mine. All mine. I had to stop an evil like cackle from bubbling out of me. Kostas looked puzzled at me probably because my wolf was howling in joy. It was perfect, perfect I tell ya.

“You were saying?” Jack asked me distractedly closing the phone.

Shoot I zoned out and didn’t listen in the rest of the conversation.

“Actually, it’s nothing!” I dismissed trying to hold back my grin. “Thank you for your time Jack”

I stood up, shook his hand even if he was looking at me suspiciously and walked out that door without looking back.

“Are you insane?” Alexandra whispered - yelled when she caught up with me Kostas hot on her tail. “You were supposed to figure out at least who he is!”  

“Kostas go and find me who the personnel manager is. Now!” I ordered ignoring Alex altogether. “I don’t care how you do it, just do it!”

Kostas nodded with a mischievous glint in his eyes, already figuring out why I didn’t have to stand there and wait.

“What do you need with him now?” Alex whined “We were supposed to try and find your mate, get you close to him, make him fall in love with you and…”

I honestly couldn’t hear her after that; my mind was running away to the future my wolf wanted. A future I and my mate could have together. With love and passion and pups many pups. I shivered in the idea of actually mating with Austin but then a feel of dread replaced all the happy feelings.

What am I thinking?

I chastised my wolf. She couldn’t be having those weird needs now on me. I couldn’t have any of it. Even if I wanted to have Austin I would be putting him in a whole lot of danger. Danger he could never avoid or overcome. Austin might be a born mate for me, but he wasn’t made for me. He couldn’t be. Fate wouldn’t be as cruel as putting me in these situation for no other reason than to let him be, reject him.

Yes, I was going to reject him, leave him in his normal, quiet life. Little did I know about how loud I would find his life to be…