Chapter 34- Illuminating With Lanterns

"So this is Espeon

"So this is Espeon. She is the physic type evolution of Eevee. Currently, her only moves are physic--which is new-- and swift, like before." Elaina mapped the idea out loud, listing everything that Ash had told her as she studied the Pokemon with stars illuminating her eyes.

"Correct." Ash beamed, taking pride in the fact that his training expertise essentially allowed for the evolution to occur. His grin was wide and rambunctious, flaunting his sky high ego. He'd always been confident in both himself and his skills.

"Wait until my brothers get a load of this! We'll be brilliant, Espeon and I, a match made in heaven. We don't need anyone. No-- not a chance. I don't need you, Ash. I'm perfectly fine, all by myself. Fine. Absolutely." The golden blonde nodded to herself, rambling about what seemed to me almost nonsense. And when she mentioned Ash's name, her eyes didn't meet his, nor did she even look in his direction.

"You sure about that?" Ash asked, giving my friend a perplexed look, as if questioning the remains of her sanity. Even as my crush spoke, she still refused to lift her head, clamping her teeth down on her cuticle as if to sturdy herself, or at least stop the flow of incoherent words.

"Yes! Of course! Why wouldn't I be? I'll show you, I promise. You'll see. I just... I... I just...n-need to be alone." Her voice lost amplitude with each word and the forced smile that started her sentence faded with a matching rhythm; until silence was the only thing that remained amongst the air partials between us.

And without another word, she left our campsite with Espeon in tow. Ash and I glanced at each other briefly, catching our eyes with mirrored looks.

"That was weird." The jet haired boy exclaimed and I nodded in agreement. Her body faded between the columns of trees as she ventured deeper, not bothering to glance back.

"She's been acting strange all morning." I pondered, biting the curve of my lower lip and grazing my teeth over the soft flesh. She was awake during the early hours of morning--no, she did not sleep. Her eyes were troubled, lost almost, brimming with conflict and strife. When I had asked the reason for her lack of sleep she simply gave a discord smile and whispered: "I can't."

"Maybe she is still in shock from yesterday." Ash theorized, shrugging his shoulders carelessly, dropping the excuse as if it were an easy way to wriggle out of a tough situation.

After Ash successfully defeated Jessie in battle, and she was sent flying back to her colleagues, Elaina sprinted onto the crime scene with her newly evolved Espeon directly behind. Her hair was wild, crusted with sweat and stained an ashy grey from the dense smoke. Scabbed saliva traced the corners of her mouth, as if it had foamed over the edge of her lips in disgust. But the distressing factor was the look in her eyes, it was...different. Raging, conflicted, illusive even. They hadn't lost that distraught look since.