Chapter 13- Shattered Glass

"Because you make her happy

"Because you make her happy. More than you know Ketchum." Elaina smiled and winked at me. She pivoted on her heel and began racing through the stadium while gesturing for me to follow. I tied to catch up but she was surprisingly fast.

"Elaina, wait!" I called to her but she never slowed.

"Hurry up Ash!" She giggled as she sprinted faster. I heard the click of the large stadium doors open. Hundreds of people flowed out of the main stage area. They swept the front room within seconds. I desperately looked for a blonde haired girl but she became lost in the crowd. My feet stopped dead in their tracks.

"Elaina!"

No answer.

Instead of looking for her I decided to make my way to the backstage area. After all, thats where she said we were going. Eventually I found the sign that declared 'Backstage. Performers only.' I immediately rushed straight in, ignoring the message and the lady at the desk.

Inside was much more peaceful than the havoc outside. Practically all the performers had left so everything was still. Mirrors were rowed along the walls with small desks beneath them. The room smelt like an explosion of flowery scents. It reminded me of Serena's fragrance. I cautiously walked deeper into the room. My footsteps were the only thing that could be heard.

"Serena?" I said softly, attempting to catch the attention of anyone close by. There were sudden footsteps behind me. In my alarmed state, I spun around only to find a familiar brunette. Shuana had changed out of her performers outfit and into her normal cloths. Though she looked slightly defeated, she still bared a smile.

"Are you looking for Serena?" She asked, her grin widening.

"Uh...yeah." I said slightly distracted.

"She's in the room just down that hallway." Shauna pointed at a brightly lit corridor. I nodded and thanked her. "Make sure to knock first." She warned before disappearing off.

As instructed, I rapped the door with my knuckle and listened for the sweet voice to follow.

"Yes? Come in." Came the faded call behind the door. I slowly turned the brass nob and let myself in. Serena sat unmoving on a red, pillowy chair as she gazed mindlessly at her reflection in the mirror. Her face was blank but her eyes were full of emotion. Her beautiful honey colored locks cupped her face and her fair skin sparkled under the show lights.

I was blindly staring at her, awaiting a comment. But she never moved. She just sat and observed her reflection, encased in her own thoughts. I wondered if she even remembered telling me to enter. It certainly didn't seem like it.

My heart ached as I watched her silently criticize the girl in the mirror. I couldn't tell if it was good or bad. Probably a mixture. Serena deserved every good thing in her life. And it physically pained me to see her upset. I wasn't sure why. Mostly I ignored the theories in my head as to why she was different. None of it made sense to me. I shrugged off my difficult thoughts as I attempted to capture Serena's attention.