Part 6 - The End

After long and hearty celebration, both in wolf form and human form, I was alone with Rafe at last.

“My darling Lyneth,” he whispered, his lips brushing my neck, “how do you like your kingdom?”

At last all of our skin was touching again, and I was hazy to everything but that. I answered him once his words absorbed through the thick layer of joy, “I love everything as long as you are here.”

He rustled the luxurious sheets that were the only thing between our warm pocket and the chilly night air. “That’s not a good enough answer. You must have your own mind, or I will be terribly bored.”

I sighed, running my hand over his wide, bare shoulders. “They adore me, so how could I find fault with them?” I amended.

He laughed, making my heart flutter. It still happened every time.

“What are you thinking?” he asked.

“I was wondering. What happened to the silver collar? I should return it to Father Miller.”

 He laughed again. How I loved his laughter! His mouth was very wide and his teeth sharp with a savage grin when he said, "That old man can come and get the thing himself… if he is able. I doubt an old crotchety priest could be nimble enough to climb to it.”

“Climb to it?” I pondered, confused.

With a twinkle in his eye he explained, “Stephan and George were esentful of the object that tormented you for so long, and exultant that their queen had arrived. While we frolicked in the forest in our wolf forms, they somehow managed to loop it around the spire right up there.” He pointed to the ceiling above us, which was cone shaped because it was right below one of the lovely spires of the palace.

“No they didn’t!” I cried in skepticism.

“Yes they did! You can see for yourself,” he chuckled. “But not now!” he exclaimed when I moved to leave the bed and go see the marvel. He wrapped his strong arms around me, and the lure of his skin evaporated any idea of leaving.

Early the next morning, I woke at dawn. It would be a long time before that habit left me. Rather than bother with maids and dresses, I shifted into my wolf form. It was easy to do with so many strong emotions to draw upon.

Outside in the chill air, I found the spire where my love slept to see if what he claimed was true. There, encircling the copper spire on the roof above our bed glinted the silver collar.

I ran back to Rafe and our warm bed, exultant in my freedom, home at last.

The Silver collar still encircles that spire, though it is now old and tarnished and shines no more.