Part 5

Another experience to list in my roster of the most glorious things, below Rafe’s laugh, Rafe’s kisses, and the freedom of my people, was a hot bath. This new and heavenly experience could not last long enough. I hadn’t felt as if I had led a terrible, deprived life until I compared a wash at the cold pump to a hot bath.

I didn’t bathe alone, either. It seems the entire female population of Unar lined up outside my royal bedchamber in anticipation of a turn to buff up the new queen. One woman washed my hair. The next rinsed it. The woman after that scrubbed my back. A different woman administered each step of my beautification and I couldn’t feel embarrassed. These were my people. I loved them and they loved me, just because of who we were. Some women arrived in tears. Some laughed and some sang. Many brought gifts and all had volumes to say to me. I did not get tired of it. I would rather share the joy of one of my countrywomen than mop a floor or muck a stable (all I ever did all day up until then). It was heaven. Well, almost.

Rafe had disappeared. I felt a little sad. After days spent in a romp through the forest together, he had disappeared just hours after I had regained my human formI longed for his touch and his loving gaze upon me. But he did King things elsewhere, I supposed, and I got to have a bath.

After a bath everyone insisted had lasted way too long, they hauled my wrinkled fingers and toes out along with the rest of me. A succession of women applied a plethora of potions and oils to me, and then a copious amount of underthings, just like Nicole. How would my skin touch Rafe’s now? Then they put on petticoats, skirts, blouses, kirtles, mantles and jewelry on me. Each one felt just as overjoyed to help as the last, so I couldn’t complain. Truly, if I wasn’t dressed in all this finery, I couldn’t have given them all a turn.

Then they let in the children. So many beautiful little ones came to bounce and giggle in my chambers that some of the women had to step out to make room. And then they sang for me! The emotions loosened my form and I transformed inside all that finery.

A gasp erupted from the group, but not one of horror. They gasped as if they witnessed a miracle. Women wept and clapped. The children squealed and danced. Chaos erupted and the children began to hug me. When the push to draw near me became uncomfortable, I slipped through them, brushing them with my fur with a lick for a few outstretched hands. I wanted Rafe to come and I wanted us to howl again, but he didn’t come and I wouldn’t do it without him. I regained my human form after a while. Everyone cooed their approval and then they dressed me all over again.

I knew that Rafe controlled his emotions and that controlled his transformation. But it wasn’t so easy for me yet. Everything overwhelmed me and felt wonderful. Also, the people seemed to love it, so I didn’t worry.

Once I was dressed, the crowd of ladies that surrounded me traversed my castle with me, accustomed to a path which I was not. They propelled me along with them. Everyone knew just where to go and we arrived at a set of enormous doors. I could hear that more people waited inside.

Rafe waited there. I could smell him; what a wonderful smell! Now that I had become friends with my inner beast, I knew how he had found me after that first sight at the marketplace. It’s how I knew he was here.

The great doors swung wide to reveal the great hall of the castle. People filled the room, all their eyes turned to me and my entourage. A collective sigh emanated from them as we entered the room. Their emotions of joy and relief flooded over me and I felt my form begin to waver, until I saw Rafe.

Rafe stood at the head of the room with a small group of men. He wore royal robes and he looked strong and noble. He waited for me. His eyes shone with love and victory, never leaving mine. I smiled and quickened my steps toward him. He was the stronghold in this sea of tumultuous emotions. With Rafe I could be a wolf or be a woman, and either form suited when I resembled him.

He held out his hand to me and I took it. I ascended the dais and stood with him before the crowd. We gazed into each other’s eyes as the Chief Steward read us the Wedding Rites of Unar.

At the Steward’s prompt, Rafe said to me, “I, Rafe Kinsey, take you Lyneth as my wife, my queen and my one true love. I will cherish our bond and love you today, tomorrow, and forever. I will trust you and honor you. I will run with you and hunt with you. I will love you faithfully through the best and the worst, through the difficult and the easy. What may come I will always be there. Just as I have given you my hand to hold, so I give you my life to keep, and join my voice with yours.”

The Steward then prompted me and I said to Rafe, “I, Lyneth, take you Rafe Kinsey, as my husband, king and my one true love. I will cherish our bond and love you today, tomorrow, and forever I will trust you and honor you. I will run with you and hunt with you. I will love you faithfully through the best and the worst, through the difficult and the easy. What may come I will always be there. Just as I have given you my hand to hold, so I give you my life to keep, and join my voice with yours.”

Then we said in unison to each other, “Entreat me not to leave you, or to return from following after you, For where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay, Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. And where you die, I will die and there I will be buried. May the Lord do with me and more if anything but death parts you from me.”

Rafe kissed me. Though before a crowd, gentle and respectful, I still felt the powerful kiss to my toes. I wanted to linger in that moment.

A crown, aglitter with diamonds, passed from the Steward’s hands to Rafe. He placed the crown upon my head and turned me to face all of his people.

“Here, at last, is your queen!” he declared. The room erupted in cheers and applause. Rafe waited for the people to express their joy, and when the room quieted, he smiled. Then he melted into his wolf form, shook off his finery, and howled. Jubilant, I followed his example and joined my voice to his. In moments, the Great Hall rang with the jubilant howls of our enormous pack. Fine clothes littered the floor and wolves frolicked among the luxurious furniture. Unar was restored.