title of your story or chapter

the same place. It was uncomfortable enough just for her to be with him. They’d been on the road for twenty minutes before they spoke to each other.

“Is he sure it’s her?” Laura asked.

“Yes. Why do you ask?”

“I’ve been disappointed enough times. I’ll be damned if I’ll let it happen again.” Laura said.

She ignored his snide expression and went back to focusing on the possibility that in a few hours she could possibly be reunited with Todd. 

Seven hours later they drove up a dirt road lined with police cars, and the private eye jogged over to meet them. Laura wondered if all the police cars parked outside of the house would make Gabrielle Madigan, or whoever was in the house, suspicious, but the cops didn’t think so. Apparently no one had left the house since they’d arrived.

“Is there a back door?” Phillip asked. “Maybe they went out that way.”

“No back door. Only the front door and a side door, and we have clear views of both.”

Laura stared at the house, letting the conversation between Phillip and the private eye fade into the background. Could Todd be in there, just a few feet away from her? Doubt crept into her mind. For so long she’d been sure the Madigans were the kidnappers, but she saw no sign of a child anywhere. A little boy Todd’s age might have a tricycle or a pair of roller skates. She didn’t see anything like that.

“You’re sure she’s in there?” Laura asked.

“We saw her through the window about ten minutes ago.”

“Have you seen anyone else?”

“No.”

***

After a while, Gabrielle got bored with the game the men in the cars were playing with her. When more cars arrived she considered going outside and telling them to leave, but Brian told her not to.

She stopped, her hand on the doorknob. “What should I do?” she asked.

“Wait.”

She backed away from the door. “But I don’t like them.”

“They can’t do anything to you,” Brian said. “Don’t worry. I’m here to protect you.”

She glared suspiciously at him. “You better not be handing me one of your bullshit stories. I’ll kill you if you are.”

He yawned dramatically. “Yeah, yeah. I’d like to see you try. Shut up and stay away from the window. Do you want them to see you or something?”

She looked outside anyway and saw a man in a uniform get out of his car and walk to another car. Then they all strode toward her front door.

“Brian?”

He didn’t answer. Typical. Whenever she needed him, he disappeared.

“Who are you and what are you doing at my house?” Gabrielle demanded when she opened the door.

“Oregon State Police, Miss. We need to ask you and your husband a few questions. Is he around?”

“Do you see him anywhere?”

“No, I don’t. Do you have any idea when he’ll be home?”

“I talked to him a few minutes ago, but I haven’t seen him in ages.”

“What are you talking about?” Phillip asked, stepping forward. “You mean on the phone?”

Gabrielle opened her eyes, wide and mysterious, and put a finger to her lips. “Shh. Brian’s like a magician. Poof! He disappears.”