title of your story or chapter

Chapter Fifty-Three

Two days later Laura called Erich and told him she wanted to see him. He considered telling her they shouldn’t see each other, but he couldn’t. Jenny was so busy shopping for baby clothes he didn’t think she even heard him when he told her he’d be late and not to wait up.

He took the subway to Eighth Street, then walked the few remaining blocks to Laura’s apartment on Patchin Place. Rain had begun to come down heavily and the sidewalk was slick with fallen leaves. It was the kind of day people should stay inside. But Erich had decided to go to Laura, and when Erich made up his mind to do something nothing could stop him. 

Jenny was eight weeks pregnant, which meant she must have conceived right after their honeymoon. He’d always wanted children but never imagined it like this. Jenny’s parents were thrilled. She insisted on visiting them every Sunday and he didn’t have the heart to refuse her. In her parents’ company she was much happier, but he thought his in-laws behaved more coldly towards him lately. In the past they’d treated him like the son they’d always wanted. Then again, maybe it was just his imagination. Jenny was too proud a woman to tell them her marriage was failing.

He rang Laura’s bell, remembering the first time he’d ever seen her. She came to the door, lovelier than ever, and put her arms around his neck. She kissed him, filling him with strength, and he kissed her back, loving the smell of her, the feel of her, the reality of her.

“I’m glad you came,” she said. “I’ve missed you.”

“Me, too,” Erich said and kissed her again.

She nuzzled his neck. “Mmm. What kind of aftershave are you wearing?”

“Don’t remember.”

She took his hand and led him into the house, then closed the door behind them. As soon as they were inside they were in each other’s arms again, kissing hungrily.

***

Jenny stood at the floor-to-ceiling windows of her parents’ living room in Connecticut, watching her husband. Erich had been riding for almost two hours and didn’t seem to be tiring. He had so much energy she found it difficult to keep up with him, now that she was pregnant. The morning sickness she suffered with all day hadn’t gotten any better. Despite her difficult pregnancy, Jenny loved her unborn baby more than she’d ever had anyone. She couldn’t wait to hold him in her arms.

She heard the front door close, and a moment later her father stood in the doorway. He held his suitcase in one hand and the Sunday New York Times in the other. Preston Abbott kissed both his daughter’s cheeks, then stood back and stared at her.

“You’re too pale. I don’t like it. Something’s not right.”

“I’m fine, Daddy.” She put both hands on her abdomen. “I just can’t fit into any of my clothes anymore. I didn’t expect you back today. Where’s Mother?”

“Still at your sister’s, helping her get settled. I have a meeting tomorrow morning at eight so I couldn’t stay.”

She turned her back to him and he took a few steps toward her. “What’s so interesting out there?” he asked.

She glanced at him, then back out the window, but didn’t say anything.

Her father nodded. “Erich’s riding again. He enjoys it very much, doesn’t he? He’s a good man, Jenny. I asked him to come to work for me, but he turned me down. Can you imagine?”

“He’ll never give up being a journalist. It’s in his blood.”

Preston watched his daughter as she gazed at her husband. “I have to admire his independence. Why aren’t you out there with him?”