title of your story or chapter

Chapter Twenty

She took a cab straight to Virginia’s brownstone. She had never been so furious with her aunt. She tried to control her anger, but it threatened to overwhelm her. Every time she felt herself begin to relax, she thought of Erich and his bruised face. The fury inside her simmered even hotter.

This wasn’t the first time her aunt had disapproved of someone she was dating, but it was the first time she’d tried to harm one of Laura’s boyfriends. They’d argued about it in the past, and when Laura was younger Virginia sometimes got her way. But that hadn’t happened in a long time. And it wasn’t about to start. Laura intended to keep seeing Erich whether Virginia liked it or not.

The cab pulled up in front of the brownstone and she paid the driver, then stepped out onto West 77th Street and climbed her aunt’s cement steps. Just before she tried the door, she heard the wail of an ambulance siren. It reminded her of how frightened she’d been on the way to the hospital earlier that night.

Laura stormed into the brownstone without knocking. A light was glowing in the kitchen, and the teakettle had just started to whistle. She barged into the room and glared at her aunt.

Virginia spun around to face her, her beautiful face twisted with a combination of welcome and concern. “Do you have news about Todd? Have the police—?” She held out her arms, but Laura didn’t move into them as she usually did. “What have you been doing?” she asked. “My goodness! You look exhausted.”

“Exhausted? Yes, I suppose I am.”

“I know what will help. I bought a new blend of cinnamon tea yesterday that tastes just like the one your mother liked so much. Would you like a cup?”

Laura stood without moving. “Three men beat Erich up tonight. You’re responsible, aren’t you?”

“That reporter?” Virginia turned and took two mugs from the cabinet, then looked back at Laura. “You do know how to attract good-looking men, Laura. But looks aren’t everything.” She lifted her chin a little higher. “I don’t approve.”

“He’s in LennoxHillHospital in so much pain he can barely talk. He told me he recognized one of the men because he’d been with you when Erich saw you the other night. Is that true?”

“Is what true? And why would you think I had anything to do with what happened?”

Laura’s anger reached the boiling point. “Don’t take me for a fool. I’m talking about whether you saw Erich.”

“He wanted to confront me.”

“He told me you threatened to teach him a lesson if he kept seeing me.” Laura’s lips curled into a mocking half smile. “What happened to him tonight is a bit too much of a coincidence, don’t you think?”

Virginia turned away and picked up the tea kettle, pouring tea into two mugs. “How do I know how many enemies he’s made? He’s a ruthless reporter who doesn’t care who he hurts with his lies. Many people may be out to get him.”

“That’s a lie. He’s a well-respected journalist.”

Virginia set the tea kettle down and focused hard on her niece. “Laura, you know I’d never do anything to hurt you or anyone you care about. And I’d have to be blind not to see that you care about this man.”

Laura shook her head. “There are two inescapable facts.” She lifted one finger. “First of all, Erich was beaten up tonight by a guy Erich saw with you.” A second finger joined the first. “Second, you had threatened him. Why shouldn’t I believe you’re responsible? It makes perfect sense to me.”