Chapter 9: Happy Birthday

"Then she'll get stuck and be scared of the life that's inside her, growing stronger each day. Until it finally reminds her to fight just a little to bring back the fire in her eyes. That's been gone, but it used to be mine..."

The drive to the hospital felt like hours, yet was only a matter of minutes. On our way, Ethan was calling family members left and right. He was telling everyone to meet at Blue Hills Hospital.

The difference between my first and second set of contractions was eight minutes. Ever since then, the contractions were becoming more and more frequent. Ethan tried to get me to do breathing exercises, but I was too concerned with the pain.

"Ethan, if you try to get me to do one more breathing exercise, I will shove a tampon up your nose," I growled lowly.

Shocked, he mumbled a "Sorry, Sweetheart," as we pulled up to the front of the hospital. Ethan hopped out while I was still having trouble with the damn seatbelt. Grumbling, Ethan clicked me out and helped stand.

We hobbled, more so I, into the lobby and a nurse saw my condition. She grabbed a wheelchair and we headed straight to the maternity ward.

My mind was starting to go blank from pain as Ethan told the nurse how close my contractions. After hearing that, I was put in a hospital gown immediately and a doctor was already in the room.

Through it, Ethan was still there holding my hand. I looked at him with unshed tears in my eyes.

"I can't do this," I started to mutter and shake my head. At this, Ethan sat on his knees to be level with me.

"Yes, yes you can. You've been so brave through these last nine months, I believe on you." He smiled at me and clenched my hand. As we were talking, a tent was set up around my legs and the doctor took a peek at me.

"Wow, you already dilated nine centimeters. When I give the say in a few minutes, I'm going to need you to push," she said. The doctor gave me a huge smile; my fear grew.

"I'm so scared." Tears were flowing freely from my eyes as I felt another contraction come upon me. My teeth clenched and I gave a strangled groan. My doctor set herself level to my hips and looked at me.

"Are you ready?" She asked.

"No," I cried back, "but I know I have to do this."

"Push." I screamed and put pressure on my lower body. I was pretty sure I was breaking Ethan's hand, too. The pain was unbearable.

"Ah, this hurts so fucking much!" I screamed out.

"I can see a head. Keep going." I continued pushing and pushing until I heard the first bout of crying. I had about two seconds to breathe until Baby B wanted to come out.

"Okay, the first one was a girl. The second is about to make their appearance. So Katie, I'm going to tell you when to push so we can get Baby B out quickly." I nodded slightly.

"Can we get this over with?" I mumbled.

"Go." I pushed and felt so much pain that my legs went numb.

"Just got the Hell out of me!" I screamed, just wanting the pain to end. Once I heard the second cry, I knew it was going to be over soon.

"Just one more push and they'll be out." With one final scream, I pushed my son out. Ethan cut both their umbilical cords and they were sent away.

I was sobbing, Ethan most likely had a broken hand, and my nether regions were being fixed back up. I was given painkillers and the lower half of my body went numb.

"Would you like to see your children?" The doctor asked, coming in with one pink bundle and a blue one too.

"Please," I croaked. They were both handed to me, screaming and crying. They both had Vaseline on their eyes and little mittens on so they couldn't scratch themselves.

"Here, we have Alexandria Rosemary Schneider," I handed the little girl to Ethan, "and we also have Grayson Edward Schneider." I cuddled my son.

"Look at them," Ethan whispered, "they're so beautiful. I love you so much." He kissed my sweaty forehead.

Alexandria Rosemary Schneider; born at 8:23pm, September 5th. Weighing 8 lbs and 6 ounces, 22 inches long. Grayson Edward Schneider; born at 8:27pm, September 5th. Weighing 9 lbs and 2 ounces, 24 inches long.

I glanced at my ring and remembered the past nine months. I remembered how it all started, telling Ethan's parents, telling mine, gaining a good friend, and just all around gaining love. I was so afraid I'd end up alone, but now I have so many people who will watch after my children and me. But the one person who brings me the most joy is Ethan. He was the one who really picked me up.

"Will you except visitors now?" A nurse popped his head in.

"Oh, yes. Send them all in here." My room was pretty spacious, so everyone could fit.

"Are you sure you're okay enough for everyone?" Ethan asked me. Alexandria was holding his finger and she stopped crying. Gray on the other hand was still whimpering, so I bounced him a little.

"Yes, I'm fine. I want everyone in here." I smiled at my fiancé.

"Knock, knock." My mother was the first person I saw. Then there was Taylor, then Emily, then Antonio, and finally Sarah.

"Hi everyone. I would like you guys to meet Alexandria Rosemary and Grayson Edward Schneider." Everyone awed and cooed at Ethan and I's children. All the women crowded me while Antonio went to go congratulate his son. Ethan smiled and showed off Alex.

Slowly, all the guest trickled out. Sarah had to leave because she got a call from her husband about a cranky two year old. The Schneider's and my mother left due to the ending of visiting hours. Ethan left for a couple minutes to retrieve my bag from the car. While he was gone, I was nursing the babies.

They were pretty easy, not needing to be guided or helped. Gray had finally stopped whining and they were both tired. Their cribs were on each side of the bed and there was a long couch for Ethan to sleep on against the wall.

I put both my children in a bed and get myself comfortable. Right as I was about to go to sleep, Ethan came back in.

"Go to sleep, Sweetheart. You're gonna need all the sleep you can get starting from here on out." He kissed my lips softly and walked toward the couch.

"Thank you," I called out to him. He glanced at me with a cocked eyebrow.

"For?"

"Giving me two beautiful children, one beautiful ring, and unconditional love that I don't deserve. You're the best thing to ever happen to me." I didn't know if it was my hormones getting me all emotional, but I really meant it.

"You did the same for me, Katie. You stayed late to work with me in that stuffy office, dealt with those bitches that worked in my building, and even stayed by my side when I was harassed by tabloids about being gay. I love you more than words can say. So I ought to be thanking you instead." I was smiling so widely I thought my cheeks would break.

"Now, get some sleep." Ethan turned out the lights and laid down on the couch.

"I love you," I said into the darkness.

"I love you more," was the response.