Chapter 8 - Avoidence

You weren't obsessed with psychopaths, no. You were merely fascinated by them. That may have been why you were so eager to pick up the job of observing Mr. Holmes, he did claim to be a sociopath after all. Of course you had your normal work to attend to, but that was boring compared to the wonderful man you had the pleasure of watching on a daily basis. With insults of course but that seemed mandatory considering his narcissistic nature. You had unfortunately become less interested in watching him after that dinner. It' wasn't just the fact that he was observing you but it also seemed that he didn't hold those qualities of a sociopath or a psychopath. He could sympathise, empathise, he didn't play with people's emotions and so all in all he was quite boring by your standards. Because of this now lack of interest, all for the reason he wasn't psychotic, you had no longer the desire to speak to the man. In fact you were actually trying to avoid him. It was also because of the observing but the interest being lost also played a part. Unsuccessfully of course considering you were living with him in the same apartment, but you tried your best. Picking up even more assignments than before, locking yourself in your room or hiding in the bathroom. It all seemed normal after a week but he just didn't want to leave you alone. He was beginning to have almost an obsession with you. It was...uncomfortable, to say the least.

"Go away," you said for the fifteenth time from inside of your bedroom. You had had to wedge the door shut with your wardrobe because Sherlock had seemed so adamant in talking to you that he had removed all locks from inside of the flat, just so you couldn't lock yourself away from him for such long periods. He must really have an uncontrollable need. He hadn't however considered the fact of how useful heavy furniture could be when trying to keep people away and out of sight. You however had.

"No," he persisted. He was currently sitting at the base of your door, he hadn't really caught on to the reason on why you were avoiding him. It confused him. You were so kind to him, perhaps even what he classed as one of his friends. And then as soon as you heard that he was observing you, of all things, the thing that he did to everyone else on a daily basis, you turned your back. Tried to ignore his very existence, that was not only rude but also very childish. Your cold shoulder wasn't the only thing that hurt him though, it was also the fact that you wouldn't even acknowledge that he wanted to explain. Just for the sole reason that he observed you you tried to push him away. Surely you of all people should realise that that was normal? For him at least, it was the most normal thing in the world.

"Why? I obviously don't want to speak to you, or see you, can't you see that?" Well that was the most words you had said to him in over a week. He was impressed. Maybe your strop was wearing off, or it could just be a fluke. You could never tell.

"I can see that but I do wish very much so to speak with you," he said, sounding exasperated as he pinched the bridge of his nose. He could feel a headache coming on, nicotine patches would be needed. At least two. This was getting to the level of annoyance that he possibly wouldn't be able to handle without drugs.

"And why is that? Why don't you just leave me alone and give up?" You too sounded exasperated, but in an entirely different way. It seemed that you hadn't been to the bathroom for a considerable amount of time because of the man outside of your door. Unfortunately, this was having a bad affect on your bladder capacity. You were particularly afraid of having to pee in the bin in the corner of your room. Things were getting drastic.

"Because I want to know why you're ignoring me, don't I at least deserve an explanation?" He tried to reason, he felt that he needed, or had earned that. Regrettably though he was never good with people skills. It was always so stressful to be nice to people. Especially to those he liked, he just seemed all the more ruder to those close to him. It was a very inconvenient habit.

"I guess so," you mumbled quietly, you were surprised that he had even heard it. You were hoping he hadn't.

"Are you going to tell me then?" He questioned, you could now hear the well hidden annoyance in his voice seeping through. Maybe you should tell him, but then you'd be exposed. And nobody wanted that. Hopefully he didn't either.