Chapter 2

Thanks libby296 for giving me a few helpful tips :) much appreciated!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi again! As you may have guessed, this is the second chapter and basically each chapter is from a characters point of view. Most of the chapters will be from Kaida's as she is the main, main character.

I may add other points of view from different characters within the chapters just to spice things up a bit :P

I hope you enjoy!

Comment, vote and fan :)

~ Z

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Kaida

The look of wonder on his face angered me and tore me from the constant thumping of my heart in my chest, I should have been more careful. How the hell could I let this happen? So I did the most rational thing I could think of. In a split second Emery was pinned to the wall gasping for air as I hissed at him.

“If you dare tell anyone, and I mean anyone, I will personally Kick Your ASS,” he looked at me, dumbfounded, “and that’s a promise!”

“Ok, crazy lady, I believe you would, now would you please let me go?” Realizing that his face was bright red I released my grip and he stumbled away from me, coughing.

“Uh, sorry,” I blushed, “I’m not usually that aggressive, it’s just no-one sees my tail, and I mean NO-ONE,” tears threatened to fall, but I held them in, I didn’t want to look weak in front of him.

“That’s alright,” he grinned boyishly but then, noticing the sad look on my face, his smile slowly slunk away. “Hey, come on now, it’s not that bad!”

“Not that bad, not that bad?” I gave him a look of pure disgust.

“It’s not; it’s just very uh unique?” he squinted his eyes shut and took in a deep breath; he thought I was going to ram him against the wall again. Instead I leant against the wall and slid down it, my head falling into my hands. I felt his shadow loom over me for a few seconds, before he too joined me on the floor.

“Hey, I know it’s a pretty personal question and we’ve only just met and all, but how did it end up like that?” I looked up to see eyes full of concern. That was weird, but then again some of the events so far had been quite weird. I sighed. There was no way out of this question and stalling for time would just make matters worse.

“Ok, I’ll tell you. The first thing I should say is that I wasn’t born with a tail and my family shunned me until my 12th birthday. My parents are highly respected nobles in our community, and made sure that no-one had to find out about my non-existent tail, it was a humiliation that they could not bring themselves to bear. So when it came to the Welun Sorwhitaj, or the Moon Ritual, I became scared of what the Maidens would think of me when I had to deal with my parents looking at me from day to day like I was a piece of dirt,” I paused to see a confused look on Emery’s face, “What?”

“Oh, sorry I just wondered, what is a Moon Ritual?” I was stunned, literally!

“Um, well it’s basically our way of proving ourselves to the Goddess Isha and seeing whether we are worthy enough to receive specialist training here at the House of Maidens. This test is done to show that you have been blessed by our Goddess both physically and mentally. We have to come here at midnight on the eve of our 12th birthday and kneel before the statue of Isha. A circle of seven candles is placed around us, each held on a podium and each representing the seven elements and realms:  fire, water, earth, air, blood, light and spirit. We have to spend seven days in that position with no food or water, and the Maidens come in only once every day. They use the sacred Filkiati Knife to slash a line on our right wrist, one line means one element,” I turned my hands palm up to show him the seven pink puckered scars that remained on my arms, it would one day show everyone that I was brave and true to the Goddess.