Chapter 1

Hey guys, this is just a vague idea I have had for a while and this would be Chapter 1 and I was just wondering if you guys could check it out and see if you like it.

Constructive critiscm neeeeeeeeded!

Remember vote, comment and fan

Thanks, Z 

_ _ _ _ _

Thanks Starsareshining here is the Chapter which is dedicated to you, my way of saying thank you for the advice :3

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Kaida

Have you ever locked eyes with someone across the room? Had that tingling warmth spread through your body, making your head muzzy and your knees feel like jelly? No. Well that’s exactly how I felt when the new boy walked through the door. It’s never quite as you expect; it’s just you and them – no one else.

“This is Emery, an exchange student from King Telracs Realm,” a number of hisses gurgled from the students as they licked their fangs poised to pounce, tails moving from side to side with an air of angered grace only found in the Neriptia (part cat part vampire, basically our race). Kora cleared her throat as an unsettled silence was thrown into the cat-like crowd “…he will be with us for some time and I should hope for you all to make him feel comfortable,” her eyes like daggers through her misted spectacles. Her expression was that of disgust and displeasure; we all knew that the Telracs Realm conceded with the council of Yresim’s views on the spirit dwellers, the users of darkness, believing that the spirits should be released onto the surface for what they called ‘the greater good’.

“Kaida…” I tensed, ears pricked.

“Kaida Elkins.” My name ran as clear as ice, shattering the silence. I stood up and saluted before returning to my seat, cheeks flushing a brilliant shade of pink. “You shall be assigned to Emery for his stay; you are to show him around, make him feel… comfortable.” I nodded, lightly placing my three middle fingers over my lips – our symbol of respect. A few hisses were thrown in my direction and whispers began to circulate the class. The tolling of the bell from the courtyard sounded and the class immediately stood and hesitantly stalked from the room, their glances lingering on the boy, eyes full of hate.  I took my time, placing my books carefully into my bag before slowly sliding from my seat, making sure that my tail was hidden behind me. Kora beckoned me with a long finger, “Kaida darling could I have a word in… private?” she glared at the boy, her eyes burrowing a hole into him. As soon as she heard the door click softly shut she turned to me, an expression of panic sweeping over her paper-thin face.

“Now listen to me Kaida, this task is one that has not been set lightly. Emery is a hunted man and you must understand this. Your job is to protect him, not only from your classmates, but from whomever tries to harm him and, sadly that includes us Maidens too,” a small crease appeared in her sad smile. “I’m sorry that this burden has been placed upon you, my child, yet the Grand Elders consulted us with great urgency.”

“But what crimes has he committed? Why do they believe that I, out of everyone, can protect him, and from whom? I… I’m sorry Maiden but I don’t quite understand…”

“You will in time my child, Origato Wer Altiuiri Di Truthe Soves Wux, let the wings of truth guide you,” she placed her fingers over her lips and with a burst of light she was gone. Oh great, I thought, that’s exactly what I need on my plate.

- - - - - - - - - -

After much deliberation (with myself) I took a few deep breaths and opened the door leading to the bizarrely bare corridor. I paused, something was definitely up. The corridors were never this silent; there was no buzz of gossip between two girls who somehow managed to talk and use their phones at the same time, no boys trying to impress anyone who walked by with a show of their muscles. That was the norm, but not today. Then it hit me, holy crap where the hell is that new guy? I searched the corridor, looking for some sort of sign, my heart racing in my chest. A faint rustling from above caught my attention as my ears pricked at this sudden outburst of noise. I froze, unable to move. My tail wiggled free from its hiding place and stood on end. I focused on the ball of energy trapped inside of me, pulling a few strands and thinking of the words I could use for the spell. “If you’re the girl who’s meant to be, uh, protecting me I think you need to work on tuning your senses.” A silent scream escaped my mouth. I turned around to see those same lilac eyes blazing into mine, and I felt the connection, deep in my heart.

“What did you just say to me?” I was not pleased; I am one of those people who doesn’t like being made an ass of, especially by a guy I'd only just met and who, in theory, needed my aid.

“I said that you need your ears re-tuned,” he gave me a sly bad-boy grin.

“Excuse me, but seeing as it is ME who is looking after YOU, you had better start showing me a bit of respect.” At that, he laughed. I was seriously starting to dislike this guy and I’d only known him for a couple of minutes. His eyes were glittering mischievously at me as though he was toying with me, waiting to see what card he could play on me next. I flicked my tail in annoyance.

“Whoa, holy…” he gasped at the sight and I felt a sick tension knotting in my stomach. He’d seen it. I’d known him for two minutes and he’d seen it. I couldn’t live with it, I couldn’t bare it. He knows my secret…