Chapter 16

Arielle had stopped trying to do her homework awhile ago. She just grew more worried about her mom. No one had called her to let her know she had been found, so she just sat there staring at the tv, waiting to hear something. Natalie was in the kitchen making up a little snack for herself and Arielle when her cell phone rang. " Hello." She answered, not even looking at the caller ID. 

" Natalie, I'm on my way home. I just received a call from Nikki. Her and Ike found Ashley, and they are on the way as well." Taylor told her, and she could tell by the sound of his voice that he had been crying.

" Something happened. What's going on, Taylor? Is she okay?" She asked, trying not to panic. But she had a bad feeling about what she was about to hear. 

" If Ike and Nikki hadn't shown up in time, I... Ashley may... she may have been raped. Nathan found her at a bar, and he... he tried to get out of her where you were. When she wouldn't tell him, he... he beat her and he was going to rape her." Taylor sobbed into the phone. " I failed her, Natalie. If it hadn't been for me..."

" No. It's not your fault, Taylor." She sighed. " It's because of me, and I feel terrible. I can't believe that asshole. I could just kill him." 

" Zac is driving me home. I couldn't bring myself to drive any further when I heard. I didn't want to get into an accident trying to get home. I'll be there soon." They hung up, and she set her cell phone down on the counter.

Arielle came into the kitchen and tapped her on the shoulder when she didn't respond to her question. " I heard your cell phone ring. Who was that, Natalie?"

Natalie turned around to face her, and asked her to sit down at the table. She sat down across from her, and took her hand's in her's. Her voice shook as tears came to her eyes, and she began to tell her what Taylor had told her. Tears came to Arielle's eyes as she heard what had happened to her mom. She couldn't believe it. Now she felt terrible about her fight with her mom, and all she wanted was to have her home so she could hug her close and apologize. 

The door opened and closed moments after Natalie told her about it, and they ran into the living room to see Ashley standing there with Isaac and Nikki. Arielle ran into her arms, giving her a light hug. She could see her mom was obviously hurting, as there were noticeable bruises and a few cuts on her mom's face. " Mom, I am so glad your safe." Tears ran down her face as she hugged her close.

Ashley hugged her daughter back, and kissed her on the forehead. " I missed you so much, honey." 

Natalie watched as mother and daughter had a close moment, which she was happy to see after the fight the two had the other day. She sat down on the couch, Nikki sitting beside her to give her a hug. " It's not your fault, Natalie. Do not blame yourself for what happened to her." But she couldn't help how she felt. If she had taken control and called the police on Nathan all the times he attacked her, maybe it wouldn't have happened. Maybe Ashley wouldn't have been attacked.

Pulling out of the hug, Ashley looked over at Natalie and Nikki. She wanted to let Natalie have it, but she had no strength in her. She was out of it, just worn out and weak. Before she could say anything to her at all, the door opened and Taylor walked in. He took her into his arms, and she cried on his shoulder. " I am so sorry, Taylor. I shouldn't have..."

" Do not apologize. What happened was not your fault." He told her, kissing her cheek. " I don't like much that you went drinking by yourself, but it's not your fault." He held her close, not wanting to let her go.

" I love you, Taylor. So very much. I... I should have known you would never cheat on me." The tears flowed freely, which he wiped away. 

" Have you eaten anything, honey? Can I get you something?" He asked her.