「 15 」

R E A L L I F E

"prom night"

_____

maurice was a nervous wreck by the time they began to let people into the gym. she was so scared that nick wouldn't show. she hadn't checked her phone since she messaged nick due to the fact she was too busy getting ready. "emmy quit worrying! he'll show!" samantha said, reassuring her.

"what if he doesn't show? what am i supposed to do?"

"emmy, i promise, you'll be fine. nick will show up. he already said that he liked you. why wouldn't he show?" samantha smiled, rubbing her best friend's arm. "he's crazy about you."

"i'm just so scared he won't show, sammy. i'll never get to tell him that i—" she was cut off by the dj beginning to play a song.

"hello ladies and gentlemen! my name is dj matt and we are gonna slow things down before we hype things up! but before we do, this young man has got a speech for y'all." all eyes pointed into the direction of the stage, everyone watching nick carefully. he fixed his tie as he was handed the microphone.

"uh, hey, everyone. i'm nick robinson, but you already know that. uh, so. there's this girl that i've been talking to for a few months. her name's maurice walker. and i'm not sure if she's here tonight, but i like her a whole lot. if you see her, please tell her to meet me in the middle of the gym for a dance. thank you," he smiled, handing the microphone back to the dj. nick jumped off the stage, heading into the middle of the gym. people began to look around, searching for maurice walker.

samantha was the one to push her towards nick as saturn played throughout the speakers. the eyes of the other student's didn't focus on nick, or on how samantha matherson was pushing maurice through the gym. with one final push, maurice was knocked into nick, pushing him back a bit. "m-maurice?"

"hi, nick." and so their dance began. his hands were clammy against her waist, as were hers around his neck. she looked everywhere and anywhere other than nick's eyes. he looked at her, studying her face, noticing she had freckles that spread across her nose.

"your freckles are really cute." he spit out quickly, before he'd regret it. a blush spread quickly across both of their faces. nick pulled her in closer, looking directly into her eyes. you could see the guilt in her eyes as she looked back into his.

"i'm sorry i didn't want you to know who i was, nicky. i didn't think you'd like me if i told you." she admitted shyly, tearing her eyes away from nick's. "i have a weird thing where i don't believe anyone really wants to be friends with me, so. i don't really have any friends. sam is literally my only friend besides you, now."

"we're a dysfunctional pair, emmy.  i've got depression, and you're a worrier." he put a finger under her chin, bringing her face back up to his. "and i don't wanna be friends, maurice. i wanna be yours." and so he was.

with shortness of breath i'll explain the infinite,
how rare and beautiful it truly is that we exist.

fin.

[ that is the end. i hope you all enjoyed my short story. epilogue anyone? also look at my bb stefan who deserved better ]