Chapter 10

Chapter 10 –

            Ryan was walking down the sidewalk back to Leslie’s apartment with grocery bags in his hands. He remembered talking to her about thirty minutes before when they had gotten into another argument about her being alone and about him trusting her enough to not do something stupid. And even though he knew that she was probably fine, he still had a bad aching feeling in the pit of his stomach.

            It’s probably nothing. She’s tough enough to handle herself for a few minutes.

             Even though he was thinking this he picked up the pace and hurried back as quickly as he could without running.

            Less than five minutes later he was unlocking the door with his new key and entering the silent apartment. Immediately he sensed something was wrong.

           “Leslie?” he called cautiously. No answer. He called again, but was confronted with the same result. Silently, he placed the bags he’d been holding down on the ground before going to inspect what was going on.

            But he didn’t have to search for long because as soon as he made a step towards her room the door slung open, revealing a very angry and very drunk looking Greg. Ryan felt his heartbeat accelerate. There was a satisfied smirk on Greg’s face and it only made Ryan want to kick his ass even more than usual.

           “Where is she?” his fists were clenched and he was trying to control his breathing.

           “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” The second the words had left his mouth, Ryan had him shoved up against the wall with his arm pressed tightly against his throat.

           “Where is she!” he shouted. A choking noise was released from Greg. Thinking he was trying to tell him, Ryan loosened his grip.

            “In Hell,” he forced and it was the last straw.

            “Oh, she’s not in Hell. But you will be.” And before he had time to think about it, Ryan grabbed Greg’s head and snapped his neck, killing him instantly. His body dropped to the ground lifeless and cold.

            “Say hi to my dad for me.” He muttered before barging into Leslie’s room. She was curled on the floor, unconscious and absolutely still. Panic rose within Ryan and he rushed to her side, shouting her name again.

            “Come on, wake up. Please wake up, Leslie.” He pushed her hair from her face to reveal an ugly yellow bruise wrapped around her neck. In the morning it was sure to be blue.

            “I never should’ve left you alone. I’m so sorry.” He mumbled, his hand caressing her cheek gently. She stirred in his arms as her eyes flickered open.

            “Ryan?” She breathed out painfully, dried up tears in her eyes. He let out a sigh of relief.

            “Yeah, it’s me, Leslie. I’m so sorry that I left you by yourself, I should’ve stayed with you.” He didn’t care that he was on the verge of saying something that he was certain he would regret later on. And he didn’t care that he was actually feeling real genuine feelings for once.

            “Where’s Greg?” She whispered, sitting up slowly as he held onto her.

            “He’s gone. He won’t ever be able to hurt you ever again, I promise.” She looked up at him confused.

            “What do you mean he’s gone? Where’d he go?” There was a look of hurt and panic in her eyes that Ryan couldn’t understand. Wasn’t she happy that her abusive brother was gone from her life for good?          

             “He’s dead, Leslie. I killed him.” The words seemed to take a while for her to process because she rubbed her hand over her face, the look of confusion becoming even more so.

            “You did what? I-I don’t understand. H-how could you-” She seemed to be getting angrier with every word that she spoke and suddenly Ryan had the feeling that he had been wrong. That he shouldn’t have snapped Greg’s neck at all. He should’ve knocked him out, beat him up, but kill him? No, how could he even think that Leslie what’ve wanted him do that?

            “Leslie, calm down and just listen to me for a second.” He said, trying to get her to look at him but she refused and with all of her might she managed to push him away from her. Angry tears were now falling freely, making Ryan feel even more like an ass.

            “No! I don’t want to hear it! I hate you!” a sob racked her body so hard that she had to take several deep breaths before going on. “I hate you! How could you do this to me? I thought that you were supposed to protect me!” He reached for her hands but she yanked them away and instead smacked him across the face harder than she’d ever done before.

            “I was trying to protect you Leslie, I really was! He’s a terrible brother and just a terrible person in general, the only thing that he could do for you would be to bring you even more pain then you’re already feeling. Don’t you know that?” he was shouting now, matching her angry tone with his.

            “He was a good person you jerk! He just got mixed up in the wrong things and had so much stress on him these past few years that he had to take it out on me, and I was completely okay with that! But then you came along and ruined my whole life! I don’t want to die, Ryan. I have too much to live for and I know that I shouldn’t want you like I do, but I can’t help it anymore!” Leslie let out another painful sob before continuing. “Please Ryan, just let me live and let me be with you. Please.” Ryan couldn’t move. There she was, the most psychotic and frustrating girl he’d ever known in his entire life time, telling him to save her. To be with her, but how could he? He looked at her as she let out more sobs and he closed his eyes, breathing in.

            “I’m sorry Leslie. I just can’t.” The look on her face was about as painful as all of his fathers punishments combined. But it was wrong to try and be with her, even if it felt right. She was going to die in a year and that was all there was to it.

            “Get out.” It was cold the way she said it and it was agonizing watching her face go blank. It showed that she no longer cared, that she didn’t want him in her life anymore than she had the first time that they’d met. Even though he’d only known her for about two weeks, it felt like so much longer.

            “Leslie-,” He started.

            “Just… leave.” She wiped her eyes and he nodded, taking one more glance at her before turning on his heels and walking out of her apartment, regretting every decision that had led him up to this point. He’d been careless with himself, not paying enough attention and not predicting how taking such a difficult job would affect him in the future. And now he was paying for it because he cared for Leslie more than he ever thought possible, no matter how much he tried to deny it, it was there, right in front of him. There was a fine line between hating something and liking something and Ryan knew that he’d crossed it.

-------------------------------------

A/N: Okay, well, this is short but I wanted this to be a much more emotional chapter rather than some big fight scene even though they did kind of fight. And plus, Greg was getting on my nerves so I decided to pull the plug on him, haha.

 Well, now that Ryan has officially been kicked out of Leslie’s life what will happen? Hmm, I don’t really know if I’m going to fast or not, but I think that its not too bad so whatever.

 Next update will be soon. I think.

 Thanks for reading! – TaylorLeigh