Chapter 5

“Ouch!” Ryan winced as the clothe touched his swollen jaw.

“Sorry.” Leslie said, holding the ice in place.

“Your apologizing to me? Hey, there really is a first time for everything.” Leslie pressed harder, making him wince again.

“It was my fault anyways.” She told him, not meeting his eyes.

“Yeah, it was.”

“Are you trying to pick a fight with me!?” She shouted, finally meeting his gaze. He didn’t say anything, he just looked at her with a blank expression, trying to understand what she was thinking.

“Here, do it yourself.” She said, shoving the ice in his arms as she got up and walked away.

Gosh, he didn’t have to stare at me like that, its awkward. Creeper…

What’s her problem? All I did was look at her.

Brat…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Sir, the plan is ready for tomorrow.” Grayson, the Reapers new assistant said.

“Good. Make sure he is with the girl before you activate the plan.”

“Yes my lord.” He bowed before leaving the room quietly, making sure the door was shut tight. He did not want to be the Grim Reapers next victim.

Son… lets see just how serious you really are about this job…

And behind his black cloak, a grin spread across his pale face.

~~~~~~~~~~

Ryan was confused. About many things. But the thing that he was most confused about was Leslie.

Why won’t she stand up for herself? One minute she’s screaming at me and the next she’s begging for forgiveness from her brother. Is it possible she may be bipolar?

He snorted.

I wouldn’t be surprised…

“Hey.” Leslie’s voice startled him, making him jump. Turning around in his seat, he faced her.

“What?” He asked. She walked over to him, and placed herself next to him at the kitchen table.

“What’s your name? You never told me.”

“Ryan. My name is Ryan.”

“There’s no last name that comes with that?” He rolled his eyes.

“No pauper. There is no last name.” She glared at him.

“When are you leaving?” She asked, standing up and walking over to the sink.

“In a year.” He answered calmly. Leslie turned around so fast, he was sure she was a blur for a second.

“Excuse me?”

“I thought I already told you I have to watch over you for a year. Are your ears cleaned or…?” He trailed off.

“No, no, no, no. You never said anything about you staying here.”

“Yes, well, that was before I met that lunatic you call your brother.” He could tell she was thinking by the way her forehead crinkled slightly.

“What about your parents?” He chuckled, shaking his head.

“Trust me, my dad will hardly miss me.”

She’s kind of cute when she cocks her head to the side like that…

WAIT! Nope, I didn’t think that. I so did not think that.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” She asked, feeling her face starting to heat up.

“Looking at you like what?”

“Like you just found something on the bottom of your shoe.”

“Well lets see… there’s your face, your personality,…” He said, numbering things off on his fingers.

“Shut up. You don’t have the right to stay here. Get out.”

“Listen,” He said, getting up and walking over towards her.

“I have to stay here whether you like it or not. Do you think I want to waste my time here with you? Don’t flatter yourself pauper. I don’t.”

“Then why are you even here taking this job instead of someone else?”

And we’re back to square one…

“None of your business.” And without another word, Ryan walked away, finding a place to sleep for the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors Note - I know this chapter is VERY short and not a lot is going on in it, but that’s because I’m building up to the good parts. The next chapter will be so much longer, I swear, I already have it planned out. Anyways, I’m not sure when the next update will be because tomorrow I am going over to my dads and I can’t upload there. But as soon as I get home I will get started on the next chapter.

Thank you to everyone who reads, votes, comments, and fans, that means a lot to me. I’m looking for something new to read so if anyone has any good suggestions or anything then let me know.

Thanks again! - Taylor Leigh