Chapter Seven

I was brushing away the dust from my court yard when it happened. I had broom in my hand. I do this every morning before going to school. Mother had been inside doing chores. You might be thinking, Father is in custody and we didn't get to see him. It has already been a week! Why are we acting normal?

Trust me. We are everything but that. It has been a week since I have had a good night sleep. I stayed awake every night thinking of all the possibilities to get Father out. But every time I'm met with blank screen in front of my mind. I thought of sneaking in the palace and ask King the last permission to see Father. I even thought I should sneak inside the prison house guarded by the soldiers. Yes I know where it is.

But I brushed the thought away. It's not like the King would kill Father, right? I mean, Father is loved by everyone, and he is most dear to the king. He would not punish father, right? This was the thought that gave me hope. That gave my mother the hope that my father will return soon. Everything will be normal.

Mother was working. Preparing meals to welcome my father. She has considered that the King would make decision on her behalf. I want this to happen too. But I have this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach that something isn't right.

A soldier approached. Panting. He stopped at the gate and took deep breaths. I kept the broom aside and brushed away the dust off of my hands. His head looked full of sweat. He swiped it away from the back of his hands. He strengthened himself as I stood raising an eyebrow at him. I knew him very well. He had been one among the fortunate beings that loved Father as much as the King himself. You won't find him very religious from the looks. His long beard, moustache, and bald head gives him the look of a villain.

"Vrinda dear, I.. I don't know how to say. Please call your mother." he said. But his voice had a touch of grief. It was as if he had just witnessed death of someone dear. It doesn't feel good. My heart sank. Something isn't right.

"What is it uncle?"

He shook his head, "call your mother. This is very urgent." I looked at him. His eyebrows down. His face looked dull. His voice told me something has gone terribly wrong.

I gulped and nodded. I rushed inside. I could hear the sweet humming of Mother. I'm not sure what she sang, but she seemed hopeful. She seemed happy after a week of disturbance. I stood on the door and looked at her. I have this feeling that this message would not make her happy. I can tell from the looks of that soldier.

I hate the times when I become reason for someone else's misery. I sighed and knocked on the door from my knuckles. She turned back and smiled.

"Vrinda, what are you doing here? Did you clean the court yard? We have so much work to do! Your Father might come any minute!" she rubbed her hands and went back to chop the vegetables.

"Mother," I said in a small voice. How can I tell you Mother that Father might not come back? I bit my tongue to control my tears.

She sighed, "what is it Vrinda? I have so much work to do! Please be quick."

I gulped. Here I go. "Soldier came with a message. And he asks for you."

She stopped cutting vegetables. I could hear her shaky breath. I gripped my saree and closed my eyes. "I don't think it's a good news mother." I wanted to say, Mother, I don't think Father is coming back. But how do you think would she react? How would you think I can ever utter those words? He is my father. The person who nourished me with both spiritual and parental love. How can I say those words out loud? "We should go Mother," my voice cracked.

She stood. Paralysed. I couldn't tell if she was crying since she faced her back on me. But she took multiple breaths and turned. She smiled at me, "Vrinda, how do you know it's a bad news? Let's go. Maybe King wants to surprise us." she turned around. I could see her bright eyes as she imagined Father being released from the prison. I can't help but feel disappointed.