Chapter 6: Epiphany

GUYS WTF EVEN IS THIS GIF LOOK AT HIM SWALLOW I THINK I JUST CAME

CHAPTER 6

“I’m taking you out for lunch,” he tells me, rather than asks me.

I roll my eyes as I press my cell phone up against my ear. “Really, you don’t have to do that.”

“Really, I do,” he chuckles. “I feel like I haven’t seen you in forever. Let this be my treat.”

“Your treat? Edward, if I remember correctly, you were the one that got me a job when I was running around New York unemployed. If anything, I should be treating you.”

“Don’t be so dramatic, sweetheart, let me buy you some lunch. I’ll pick you up in 10.”

“Ok, Edward, thank you,” I sigh at the stubborn old man before hanging up.

I pack up my office, grabbing some papers I need to deliver to Harry before I leave, along with his sandwich. I peek at his window; he’s chatting away with Louis in his office again. I don’t know how Styles Enterprises is such a success when its CEO literally sits in his office gossiping all day.

I mean to drop of Harry’s things quickly and then wait down in the lobby for Edward, but I pause outside of his door when I hear my name.

“I don’t know man, I think Leah is pretty,” Louis is saying.

“You need your eyes checked, mate,” Harry scoffs. “I mean, what’s with those skirts she wears every day? I can’t tell if she’s a secretary or a nun. And that bun is not working for her.”

“Well, her skirts are a little long,” Louis agrees.

“Besides that, she’s the sassiest damn assistant I ever had. You should have heard what she said to me the other day...”

I decide that now is probably a good time to intercede, and I stomp into the office, my cheeks slightly flushed. If there was any doubt of me hating Harry before, it’s gone now.

“Here are your papers, Mr. Styles,” I say. “And your lunch.”

I refuse to meet his eyes, but he does look a little guilty. I bet he’s wondering how long I have been standing outside the door. Long enough, I want to tell him. Long enough.

I leave the office before I suffocate from the awkward tension circulating in the room. As soon as I'm alone in the hall, my lips twist into an ugly frown. I glance down at my skirt in shame. Is it really that long? I was always taught that it was more professional to conceal than to reveal. Now, I’m beginning to doubt that theory.

I know my wardrobe is a little more conservative than the rest of the ladies in the office, but I never thought of it as a bad thing until now.

On the ride down in the elevator, I’m alone, which only gives me more time to contemplate Harry’s comments about me. Usually, I would brush this sort of thing off and not think twice about it, but for some reason Harry really hurt my feelings.