Chapter 16: Regret

CHAPTER 16

"By the way, I found out about Valerie," I tell Renee as we eat lunch together the next day.

We're sitting in the cafeteria together as usual. It's Friday and my date with Liam is a week from today. The last couple of training sessions we had together were a tad awkward, but Liam is such an easy-going person that he made it seem like nothing had changed.

Renee interrupts my thoughts about Liam. "What? When?"

"After Harry and I, you know," I trail off, and can feel my face starting to heat up. Renee grins knowingly at me.

"After you and Harry totally got it on?" she smirks at me and my eyes widen.

"Not so loud! I don't want everyone talking about us," I reprimand her in a whisper. The last thing I need is for everyone to start hearing rumors about me and Harry. I don't want to be just another Valerie.

"If Hank was the one who interrupted you, they probably already are," Renee points out.

"You haven't heard anyone else talking about it, have you?" I ask nervously.

She shakes her head. "No. And if Hank was the only one who saw you two, then he probably won't tell. Harry will know he was the one who leaked the news if it gets around."

"I hope you're right," I mutter into my salad bowl. Suddenly, I feel as if I have lost my appetite.

Renee seemed unconcerned as she took another big bite of her sandwich. "Do you think that if I laid a wet one on Louis-"

"No. You'd probably find yourself looking for a new job. I'm lucky I'm not."

After taking a small bite of my salad, I spot Hank out the corner of my eye. He's leaning against the cafeteria wall with a little smirk on his face. And he's staring directly at me.

"We probably shouldn't be talking about this," I whisper nervously to Renee, nodding my head slightly in Hank's direction so she can realize he's in earshot. She nods and sips on her water.

I glance at the clock hanging on the wall. "I need to get back to the office anyways," I tell my friend. "Harry went out for a haircut." Even though his two phone lines are covered by voicemails, I still feel bad leaving his extensions unattended during office hours.

"Okay. But remember, tomorrow's payday," she reminds me. "Why don't we go to the mall and shop for some new clothes after work?"

"I'd love to, but I have to pick up my grandmother," I tell her, just now remembering about that. "She's getting her floors redone and has to stay with me this weekend. How about next weekend?"

"Sounds good," Renee smiles at me then shoos me away.

I find return upstairs to see that Harry's office is brightly lit, which means he has already returned from his haircut. I try to make it back into my office unnoticed, but Harry's door bursts open and Louis practically plows me over, his hands full of my chocolate clusters.

"Sorry," he mumbles with his mouth full. He glances down at the cookies in his hands and then back up at me. "Have I mentioned how much I love you?"

I look pointedly at the treats in his hand and roll my eyes. "What you love is my baking."

"That, too," Louis winked at me. He started to walk away but I called after him. "Louis, wait!"

"What is it, sweetheart?" he gives me a goofy grin and I roll my eyes again. No wonder Renee has a thing for him. The guy is a natural born flirt.