Chapter 47

Aydan

Aydan

The council chamber is different than I remember. Smaller and less foreboding. I pace, too anxious to do anything else.

Please be okay.

Please be okay.

Anxiety seeps through me as I wait for news on Nesy. Images of Azza's dagger slicing into her replay in my mind. I lean against the wall, unable to stop the ocean of grief pounding into me. Pieces of my soul shatter around me as I slide down the wall. Agony fills the darkest recesses. I can't breathe, drowning in the weight of my pain.

Nothing matters without her.

Nothing.

I pull my legs to my chest, burying my head in my hands. I should push away these feelings, be strong. But I don't want to. I deserve every moment of this torment. Every ounce of agony.

Moments pass, or maybe hours, until the storm finally ebbs. I draw a ragged breath and open my eyes. The sun casts ominous shadows across the large hall. My mind wanders, flipping through the last few days. Azza caused this. All of it.

Azza and me.

The marks on my neck burn as my wings—so different from what they once were—shift and twitch. I stare at the black skin stretched over bone, reminders of what I truly am.

You're an angel, Aydan. You're my angel. Nesy's words chastise my vengeance. Revenge got me into this mess.

Revenge caused her death.

—is she really dead?

I have to find a way to control my fury. For her.

The Council doors open. Gabriel walks into the large chamber, his robes casting emerald beams into the shadows.

"Where's Mikayel?" Tell me he's killed Azza. Please.

"He has not returned from the battlefield. Raphael is with Nesy."

My heart stops for a moment. Is she okay? Is there a chance?

Compassion sweeps across Gabriel's face. "We do not yet know her fate. The wounds appear fatal. Raphael is trying everything he can. There may still be hope."

"If there's anything I can do." My voice fades. "I will gladly give my soul for hers. Anything."

"I know." Gabriel places his hand on my shoulder. My grief abates in an instant. But not my shame.

Never my shame.

My brand ignites, reminding me of what I am now; what I will always be.

"What is it?" Gabriel asks.

"I won't become like Azza."

"You have shown compassion, mercy. Those are not the traits of the Beast."