Chapter 39

Aydan

Aydan

I emerge from the shadows into the church courtyard. Mikayel's statute looms in front of me, holding the Sword of Truth. Soon it will be the only thing that can kill me. Make him come, Nesy. Make him finish this. The words bring little comfort. I look around the gardens. Four days since I met Nesy—again. Two days since I knew who she was. One day since I promised myself to her.

It feels like a century.

She hates me now. Hates what I'll become.

So do I.

"A few more things before we can proceed." Azza places a hand on my shoulder, sending a shiver down my spine.

Shadows coil around the courtyard as the UnHoly file in around us.

I've never seen so many dark creatures assembled in one place. I wasn't part of the last battle with Celestium. From what I was told, that one ended in defeat. Based on the mob mustered here now, this will be different. Deadly.

"Tonight is the night we've waited centuries for," Azza bellows. "Tonight, we will end the Council's rule and crush their army. We know how to penetrate their skin, how to end their lives." Azza's voice bleeds through the ranks of UnHoly. They scream, their hatred palpable.

My stomach twists with disgust. I'm sorry, Nesy.

"Tonight," Azza continues. "I will forge another Dark One as I unleash the Beast. Aydan is more than my apprentice now. Tonight, he becomes my equal. One more that cannot die at the hands of the Sentinal. One more to secure our victory over Mikayel and his army." Azza catches my eye and smiles.

The crowd erupts in a burst of anticipation.

"Aydan is no ordinary UnHoly. He was trained by me for one purpose: to bring down the Sentinals once and for all."

More cries erupt from the mob.

"And he has done a brilliant job. He confused the one meant to destroy him. Convinced her to betray her orders."

Azza's words slap me to attention.

I did confuse her

—and she confused me.

Profess my love for her

—I will always love her.

Tempt her

—was that always your plan, Azza?

"Tonight he binds himself to me. He will bear the marks and eliminate the last of his ties to Celestium. None but Mikayel will be able to harm him." Azza's voice drops to a whisper. "And Mikayel will not live through the night."

The horde goes wild with excitement. They throw rocks at the statue of Mikayel, breaking off pieces of stone from his wings, his body, his face.

What have I done?