Chapter 21

"You'll have to" I squinted my eyes at Tyler.

He stood next to Marianne with a pained face. The helmet in his hands waiting for him to decide to put it on.

"C'mon, it won't be that bad, I promise" I had to smile at his wince.

"We could take the car." Tyler reminded me, brushing his beard "We would be completely undercover and safe."

"Marianne is safe." I assured him, patting the seat behind me "Hop on. Come on, chop, chop."

Tyler sighed, tossed the black helmet to his head and slid his big body behind me.

"Alright, now hold on" I winked, turning my baby on.

As I sped the turquoise Vespa down my street, Tyler's hands grabbed my waist like vines. Obviously, I turned a bit nervy. Julia and Gavin were right, I needed to come to terms with my feelings.

The reality was plain and simple, I was fucking confused. My family life had just turned – yet again – towards a big river of shit; my professional life... well, yeah... that part was just being non-existent, at all; and my love life...

Charlie, your almost-boyfriend.

Almost non-boyfriend, actually.

Yes, my love life was a total mess, too. Charlie's idea of a big plan as the PM was 'to do stuff' – dear God, he actually said that? –, he was being distant and... Well, quite honestly, a complete dull. I was bored like an eight year old with ADHD watching paint dry.

Yeah, ouch, that was a hard one for Charlie...

Tyler had mocked me once he got to my place, early in the morning. I was wearing jeans, a big sweater, shades and a hood. He assured me I didn't have to hide, because if anyone were to try come close to me, he was right there to stop them. And I told him that I would go all the way to avoid to need him to stop them – of course.

We entered Sainsbury's on a quiet Monday morning – yet another week for Alice to spend at home, doing nothing productive with her time. I had a long list of groceries and Tyler was nice enough to help me get everything quickly and painless. When it was time to pay, the cashier's eyes squinted a bit as she looked me closely. I knew she was about to scream to every other customer and employee, that I was who I was.

"Aren't you-"

"Do we've got everything, sunshine?"

Tyler's hand circled my waist, towing me to his body with a side smile.

"Huh, yes. I believe we do" I muttered, nodding quickly – blushing, too, I'm sure.

Tyler helped with the bags as we left the store. He held them as I rode Marianna back home.

"You didn't have to... huh... rescue me?" I frowned as we entered my flat "If that was what you were doing."

"Not at all." He shrugged, setting the bags over the kitchen counter "With all the attires you have on, she would hardly recognize you."

I'm not that confident, but ok...

"Thanks for going with me." I smiled, taking the groceries out of the bags "You should go home, now. And I am going back to work, as soon as Amanda talks to the police."

"Alice, are you purposely trying to get me fired? Or hanged?" Tyler sighed, crossing his arms over his coat.

"Look, here, I'm sure Charlie's public image is a lot more important than me paying my rent, but as I've told you before, Charlie can go to hell" I groaned, opening the fridge and tossing some groceries inside.