Chapter 22

It's a wonder how much I've changed in the last few weeks. Before this, I had been any other sixteen-year-old hanging out with friends, going shopping, preparing for exams. Now I'm rushing down a road trying to come to terms with what had happened.

A freak storm hitting England. Whoa.

I reach Angie's place in a matter of minutes. It's such a relief to see the driveway cleared of snow, a sign that they're at least alive.

The doorbell rings. I wait, hopping on both legs.

It opens. Angie's mum stands there and she smiles.

"Amelia!" she exclaims. "Well, what a surprise!"

I smile a bit sheepishly, wondering for a minute exactly what I'm doing here. "Um... Hi," I say timidly. "Uh, is Angie here?"

"Of course," her mother replies like no, we did not just survive a blizzard that killed hundreds and yes, my daughter is here and she always will be. She opens the door wider, inviting me in. "Come on in. She's been wanting to see you."

I enter the home, which has become so familiar to me. We enter the kitchen. Zach is there, sat on the floor, polishing his football boots. He looks up, squints but doesn't say hi.

"Angie!" Zach's mother screams. "Amelia is here! Come down, will you!"

There's a murmur of something that I can't quite catch and then loud thumping. I see her black hair flying ribbons around her, face red in excitement.

"Amelia!" she squeals and throws me down in a massive hug. I struggle to hold on. Then she pulls away and examines my face. "What are you doing here?"

The real reason is lodged in my throat. I swallow it back. No one would believe me anyway.

"Just visiting, that's all," I reply. "Wanted to see how you guys were doing. You know, with that whole storm and everything."

"I know," Angie's mother joins in, guiding me to a chair. "It was awful, wasn't it? Really horrendous."

I wonder how they managed to keep above the storm. After all, Mum and Maisie almost died.

"Zach was prepared," Angie's Mum says. "He made me go on a massive shopping spree until I had enough food to last us for weeks! Turns out he was right about the storm - what a genius!" Her face, like her daughter seems to glow in excitement. "Oh, I'm so happy you're here. I'm glad you... made it out."

I glance over at Zach to see what he's making of all this. He looks at his boots, not meeting my gaze.

As Angie's mother fusses over me and Angie demands to tell me about everywhere I've been, Zach lifts himself from the floor, announces he's going to the bathroom and leaves.

Come, he mouths to me.

I turn back to the situation. Angie's Mum is washing the dishes and Angie is chatting to me excitedly, swinging her legs under the table casually.

"Excuse me for a minute," I mutter. "I need to go to the loo."

Angie's Mum nods. "You know where it is, dear. Go upstairs because I think Zach's in the downstairs one."

I nod and quietly head down the hallway to the bathroom. The door opens and a hand pulls me in.