This Kind Old Woman

This kind old woman saw me on the streets. She took me into her home and gave me some warm clothes. Yes, she was a very kind old woman. She was your typical elderly woman — soft spoken; gentle touch; loved to knit and loved to bake. She just had one weird habit. Everyday she'd collect a spider of some different species and bring them home. She'd give them each a name and keep them in jars - over a hundred so far. I despised spiders so much. The way they crawled and moved along webs just gave me the creeps.

There were three rooms in the house. One bedroom was hers; the other was mine, but she never let me know what was in the last.

This kind old woman made the best food you ever imagined. So juicy and sweet. A different, yet bewitching flavour every time. It made you want to savour each bite.

I noticed, though, that she never told me what she'd put into the food, and I'd never be able to tell what the flavour was, either.

One day, I became terribly sick and layed in bed.

I knew I was about to die soon but I didn't know what from.

During my last moments, I saw the old woman come into the room and smile into my eyes.

"When you're gone, you'll join the others in the third room...their bones are ready to eat. And I hope you like spiders now...after all, you've been eating them since you moved in..."

THE END