Chapter Fourteen

"Are you OK?"

My head turns and I see Gale's figure in the dark. He's sitting on the edge of the bed. The light from the moon shines on him and I see his eyes stare at me. He doesn't look angry, or even sad. Just tired.

"I'm not sure," I reply, staring back at the ceiling. "I'm not sure how I feel about anything anymore." I couldn't sleep. Gale must've sensed that I was still awake. Or heard me tossing and turning.

"Aren't you upset about this, too?" I ask. He shrugs and sighs. "Not like you. I wasn't as close to Haymitch as you were." He says. I shake my head. We're probably the only two people awake still, even though it feels like everyone else is awake like me.

"I can't believe he was brain washed like that." I say. Gale is silent for a moment. 

"Maybe not."

I snap my head to him and he's still looking at me with his tired expression, but now his eyebrows have knitted themselves together, making him look angry and tired.

"What do you mean? That's the only explanation for this." I say meaner than I want. He lets out a weak laugh, and forces on a smile.

"All I'm saying is Haymitch might not have been supressed of his memory. He could really be against us." He tells me. I lick my lips and shake my head furiously. 

"No! No, he would never do that! Haymitch supports us! He wants us to take down the Caiptol!" I snap at him, but while I say it, I start to think he might be right. What if Haymitch really doesn't want us to attack? What could be his reason, though? My eyes start to well up and before I'm completely crying, Gale is already sitting next to me. His warm arms wrap around me and I feel myself half smile as I take in his scent. He smells like Katniss. She used to always smell like the forest when she came home. Smelling him only brings more tears to my eyes and I swallow the lump in my throat.

"I'm sick of this." I whisper, feeling good to admit how I feel. "I'm sick of Snow, and the Capitol, and everyone. Why did they have to rebel, Gale? Why did District Thirteen have to rebel?" He's silent. I know he's trying to think of an answer for my question, and I try to think of one, also. But, not one comes to my mind. Why did they hate the Capitol? What could they have done that made them want to rebel?

"Because some people do things on a whim. On their instincts." He says finally, slowly rocking me. "Their instincts must've told them to rebel against the Capitol and so they did. They weren't thinking." I bite my lip. Maybe that's what we're doing, too.

It's silent in the room, but with all the thoughts forming in my head, it seems like the room is as loud as can be. I rock for a little while longer in Gale's arms, and I after a while I fall asleep.

*

When I wake up, the room is empty. I quickly get dressed and peer down the halls. No sounds. I quickly walk to the cafeteria, and find everyone in their eating. Heads turn to me when I walk through and I feel like I'm at the reaping again. When I get my food and sit down next to Gale, the heads go back to their plates. 

"Good morning." Gale says brightly, taking a spponful of his food. I glance down at the mush, and push it away, suddenly not hungry anymore. Waverly pounds into the room and calls for me, his face a mixture of excitment and anger. I trudge over to him, ignoring the stares towards me.

"Have you already eaten?" He asks. "Um-"

"Great! We're going to start training!" He cuts me off. I am lead out of the cafeteria and into the rooms with all the monitors again. He moves us over to Beetee, whose talking with a man. When they spot us, they smile.