Chapter One

I clutch the golden necklace tighter in my hand as I continue to write. The Capitol wanted me to write some memorable moments from my experience in the games; they wanted me to present these memories when I went to each district for the victory tour. Every secret, every thought that crossed my mind, I'd have to write it down. I don't know why, though. I never wanted to bring up any memory ever again. But it's not like the memories ever left my mind anyways, so I guess talking about them would make them go away.

I scribble more words down on the paper. Memory three: Riding in a train for the first time ever. Which was a really good memory. Even though Haymitch was a drunken mess, it's where I found out that Peeta was in love with Katniss, and I was told that I had great aim with arrows and knives. So maybe some parts of my experience weren't all bad. I roll my eyes at the next thing I write. Getting a makeover in the remake center. That was terrible. Getting my hair pulled out, and my body touched, I was glad that I at least had Cinna. It takes me a while to even begin to write my next memory.

Seeing Katniss as an Avox.

My handwriting is all scribbled when I write that. I grasp onto the necklace in my hand tighter, until my skin turns white. My father gave Katniss that necklace, and she gave it to me. It's been with me through everything. First day of school, the times I was sick, nightmares. I always kept around me whenever I felt lonely. It not only made me feel like Katniss was still with me, but it made me feel like my father was here, too. 

I put the pencil down and decide to take a break. It won't hurt anybody. Suddenly, the door swings open and Gale walks through. Gale. I missed him. After the whole Avox thing, I really needed a close friend to talk to. When they took Katniss as an Avox, they sent Gale back home to us as a reminder that we'll never see Katniss again. But it's not like I didn't already miss her. Everything reminded me of her. 

"Hey, Prim, you hungry?" He asks. I smile and nod. He leads me down stairs and pulls out a chair for me. Since I got back, he's been over my house a lot to help with my mother. It's been nice because he likes to talk to us about anything. 

"Hi Prim." My mother says when I sit down. She sets a bowl of cabbage mush in front of me. I happily scoop a spoonful of into my mouth, even though it tastes awful. My mother smooths my hair.

"They'll be here in a couple of minutes." She reminds me. I groan. As if I didn't already know. My prep team, Cinna and everyone else are coming over today. I really only want Cinna to come, but he can't do anything besides dress me and design. So I guess I need everyone else. Gale takes a seat next to me.

"Don't like them?" He asks. I shake my head. "It's not that...it's that I'm not ready for them to come. I'd rather be in my room." I say. Gale leans back and is silent. My mother mixes together some leaves to make a new medicine. I finish my bowl just as the doorbell rings. I turn and run to my room. I keep the door open just enough to hear what's going on downstairs. 

"...Maybe you should come back tomorrow..Prim isn't really in the mood." I hear my mother say. It's silent for a while, and I can already picture Cinna shaking his head at me. 

"We haven't got much time, Mrs. Everdeen." Octavia's voice squeaks. My mother clears her throat.

"Please, you don't have to call me Mrs. anymore.." She tells them. Octavia apologizes and I shut the door. I move over to the window and peer out to the victor's village. Only two victors are living in these homes, Haymitch and me. It's kind of sad. No one even tries anymore in the games, we all knew we had no chance, I guess until I came along. 

Cinna knocks at my door and asks if I need some time to myself. I say yes without hesitation and he smiles and leaves. I sit by the window and smile for a while. I guess too long because when Cinna comes back, he's got an angry look.