1-1

A/N: Notice. I split the chapters now, because chapter "2" is torn apart on the app thanks to its length. So I will from now on split the chapters into two parts. I am not a big fan of short chapters, because they interrupt the pacing ,but it seems like Wattpad works better with shorter chapters, although they are more fit for quick paced thrillers or multiperspective novels... Anyhow...

Changes on the update schedule: Because I am publishing this story on fanfiction.net and AO3 as well, I will publish the first part here mere hours before they appear on those platforms. The second part will follow here soon. I'll post a new chapter every two weeks.^^

A legend was told among the people of Tsuchimikado and Narukami, that one day a falling star would appear at the firmament, announcing the end of the raging war among both of the kingdoms. It would fall down on earth and split the Crystal of Stars into two. Two pieces of one form and shape would be shared between the kingdoms, ending their battle for the source of power at the feet of its pedestal.

So it was told for a thousand of years with the war going on relentlessly.

----------------------------------------

The thunder of hoes, frequently crashing into the solid ground, could be heard from afar. The air smelled like rain.

Excited she stood in front of her home, waiting for the arrival of the riders.

So long had he been gone.

Years had passed by since he left her mother and her to go on his mission.

They had expected him to be gone a few months. Instead many winters crossed their land, until they finally heard word from him.

She couldn't wait to hear his stories about the land behind the horizon. A land that many stories were told about, painting the ugliest images of its inhabitants. She doubted, that Tsuchimikado people really had two eyes of a different color that would rotten you with darkness and pull your soul into the pits of hell, if you'd gazed into them too long.

These were stories to scare of children and antagonize the people of Tsuchimikado. She was sure of that. Having studied all these years, since her father had left, Mayura had different ideas about the hostility between those people and the people of Narukami. It was all thanks to the Crystal in the legend, that this war was going on as it had for a thousand of years now. She was pretty sure of that. And she guessed that not one of Tsuchimikado's inhabitants looked like the monsters, they were described to be.

Folding her hands in front of her, she waited as the wind pushed the long cloth of her kimono against her legs and gently caressed over her pinned up hair, which people called to be the one of an angel, since it was a sunny blond fading of into a freshly green.

The thundering noise grew louder as the riders got closer. Soon they would break through the small forest hiding the estate and dividing it from the main city.

Her father had left their city to her mother's reign. All those years Mayura had learned and trained herself, never knowing when she would have to rule herself. So she'd studied politics, economics, rhetoric and warfare everyday for hours until her eyes hurt and her sight blurred.

She couldn't wait to show her father the new skills and knowledge, she'd obtained.

"You will catch the death, if you stand in the wind like," she heard her mother's soft voice from behind her, as she walked towards her with a cape.

With a grateful smile Mayura turned around and helped her mother placing the cape over her shoulders of her brightly colored kimono. Her mother was a kind soul, always thinking about others. She could have sent a servant to bring Mayura her cape but instead the feudal lady of Narukami lowered herself to bring her daughter something to shield herself against the cold, heartless wind. That was why people of Narukami loved her and looked up to her. Nobody questioned the current lordship of the Amawaka's. Even with their lord having been gone for so long. "Thank you, Okaasama. (1)"