Chapter 3

I sit nervously as 3 people start to walk inside, looking superior.
"That's the council," whispers Daren. "You've already met Eoin, and the elder woman is Fosen, and the other man is Arsin. You just need to know their last names. We don't call the council members by their first names. And Eoin does most of the talking."
I nod, focusing mostly on the meeting.
"Order!" Eoin shouted in a surprisingly loud voice. Once everyone has quieted down, he begins to talk.
"Now, we have come here to discuss our new...addition to the organization. Daren has found an obligation to retrieve her, and he has done so. Her name is Marienna Reyes. Stand up please, Miss Reyes."
I stand up slowly and wave awkwardly. I sit down quickly and continue to listen to him talk.
"Miss Reyes has decided to take the Erasure for a long time now, for about 6 years. She is due for it in about a month. But we have kept tabs on her, and there is something...different about her. Our science department has not figured out why though. So now, we will try to turn things around a bit." Eoin ends with a small smile that's not necessarily with kindness.
"Um, excuse me?" I call out, raising my hand and standing up.
"What are you doing?" Daren whispers furiously to me.
I hit the palm of my hand on his face, keeping Daren quiet.
"I'll decide if I want to turn things around a bit, thanks. I don't even want to work here! I was kidnapped by this idiot!" I say, referring to Daren.
"Hey! I was smart enough to kidnap you, and that's enough for me," he answers back indignantly.
I shake him off and look back at the council. "How are you all even sure that there's something up with the Erasure? I've seen no proof whatsoever!"
"Ahh... Well, here's your proof," says Eoin, bringing down a screen. It lights up with the picture of an unmistakable brain, with different shades of color overlaying each other showing the different parts.
"This, is the regular brain, before the Erasure. And this," he changes the picture to show a less colorful brain, "is what a brain looks like after the Erasure. We know that the Erasure erases your brain, leaving your name intact. But we think that they place something else in the brain. All of us are not sure what it is, or what form it's in, but we are pretty sure that there is something placed."
"How are you so sure about this? How do you know that this is even a real brain? You barely know anything about it," I say. People start to whisper to themselves.
"You know Marienna, I like you. You ask many questions and demand answers. I respect you for that. This organization has been together for about a few months, and we've been researching it for as long as we can remember. As for the brain, that is, in fact, mine."
Everyone fall silent. All the murmuring stops. I guess no one knew about that either. "It's...yours?" I ask, breaking the silence. "You took the Erasure?"
"Yes. I was in the same circumstance as you, except I had no one to prevent me from doing it. So I did it, but soon afterwards I regretted it."
"Why did you regret it?" I ask quietly.
"I've already revealed a lot, Miss Reyes. Anyways, we need your assistance in figuring out the Erasure more, and I think the fact that you're a little different than others will help us. So what do you say? Will you join us?"
All of the people present in the auditorium turn around and stare at me. I look around nervously, and begin to talk cautiously.
"Ok, here's my deal. I will do it, but if there's a time when I'm doubting of this organization, then I'm leaving. But just because I'll do things here, it doesn't mean that I'm not doing the Erasure anymore," I say.
"Alright then. We can start tomorrow. You'll have to stay in our dormitories though. Will your orphanage be wondering where you've gone?" Eoin asks.
"They probably haven't even noticed that I've gone," I answer.
Eoin smiles. "No, I guess not. That's what a lot of orphanages are like nowadays. Daren will show you where your room is. I think you two will have to share a room. Not the same bed, but bunks."
My eyes widen as if there are headlights being shined in them. I turn slowly and look down at Daren, who's sitting in his seat and grinning evilly. Tasia shakes her head, as if apologizing for the predicament I'm in.
"Sorry," adds Eoin.
It's fine, you're just leaving me with a deranged lunatic who's kidnapped me and is flirting with me. No big deal.
I hope the decision I've made is a good one...