.14

The knock on the door- signalling the return of the slave catcher and his possy- shattered my dreams into a thousand pieces.

Harry pressed a hasty kiss to my cheek as I ran downstairs, colliding into Betsy on the main floor. She grasped my hand in fear; and I understood. In just moments- if any one of these people or even me- betrayed her, she'd be put to death.

She and I, possibly even Harry.

I tried to imagine what Harry would do in this situation. He would probably be brave, I imagined, so I tried not to shudder in fear as I led Betsy into the trapdoor underneath the carpet. I swung it shut and listened as Mrs. Rivers tucked the carpet back over the door.

"Coming," Mr. Rivers called to the person at the door.

Betsy clung to my hand. "You've gotta stay quiet," I instructed. "No talking. No crying, you understand?"

Betsy nodded. Through the dim darkness I could see tears streaming down her cheeks. I wanted to reassure her, tell her it'd be okay.

But there was no time. Both I and Betsy peeped through a knothole to watch the scene unfold.

The door above swung open and I heard footsteps echoing through the hollow ground where we were hidden. "So," a man in black boots and a green jacket said softly. "We do get to meet, Mr. and Mrs. Rivers. Your daughter has told me so much about you."

There was silence, before the man- whom I now knew was Mr. Riggs, undoubtedly, moved aside to show a beautiful, tall and stunning girl- whose name left Harry's lips in astonishment and bewilderment. "Meg," he breathed.

I felt my heart sink into my stomach at the sight of her and at the utterance of her name from Harry. She was so beautiful. Her dark hair framed her face in abundant curls, her dark eyes accentuated by a sharp face. Her mother and father stood still, unmoving. Mrs. Rivers mouth was open in shock.

I could only imagine how they felt- betrayed. By their own daughter.

Mr. Riggs continued. "Let's cut to the chase, shall we? We know you're hiding a slave and a fuigitive from the law here," he said in his nasally tone. "And we know where."

Suddenly, the trapdoor's door flew open, and Mr. Riggs- with his big nose and shiny eyes and dirty teeth, lunged down on Betsy and I. I screamed and lunged upon him, punching him in the gut. When he fell to the ground, I grabbed Betsy's hand and ran.

We made it as far as the door when Meg shut it. "Don't you dare," she seethed, bringing a gun out from her bag. She cocked it. "Or I'll shoot."

Chest heaving, I tried to think of a response. But there was none. Everything- "I'm your master's daughter!", or, "Betsy has a right to be free!" would only incriminate myself and Harry further. I stared into Meg's eyes. In them I saw hurt, anger....

And regret.

I watched as her gaze flickered to Harry. His jaw was still open in shock, hand still clamped on the stairwell. I felt my heart sink down deeper than it ever had before. He loved her. Not me.

It was as plain to see as life itself.

"Well," Mr. Riggs continued in a smug tone. "We'll take Betsy and Elizabeth here-" he stroked my face cheekily, and I pulled away. "Back to Roselands. You-" he pointed at the Rivers'- "will be contacted with appropriate punishment."

My throat constricted. "They didn't do anything wrong, Riggs," I said timidly. "It was me, it was all me-"

"Shut up!" Mr. Riggs yelled, then struck my with the end of his gun across my face. I gasped from the pain of it- I was seeing stars- and fell back onto the ground. Suddenly two arms- strong and supple- were helping me up from off the ground. "Don't you dare touch her like that!" Harry yelled, and I opened my eyes enough to see him cradling me close to his chest. "Don't."

Mr. Riggs narrowed his eyes. "Very well, you'll join us in going back to Roselands." He gave an evil grin and stalked outside to his wagon- Meg following.

I clutched Harry's shirt and tried not to cry. He ran his fingers lightly over the bruise that was forming on my face and winced. "I'm so sorry, baby," he whispered brokenly. He was close to tears. "For everything."

"No, Harry- it's my fault. I was the one that brought them here. You know that."

Harry closed his eyes and a tear trickled down his cheek. "You were so brave, Ella. So brave."

I smiled. That compliment was enough for me. Then I remembered Meg- beautiful, stunning Meg. My eyes trailed to her voluptuous figure, who was helping Riggs tie Betsy to the side of the wagon. Harry followed my gaze and scoffed. "Her? You think I'd fall for her?"

I stood up and walked towards the door. "I saw the look on your face."

"I thought she was dead."

"You're in love with her."

"I'm in love with you."

The words came, and I had heard them before- the day we slowdanced in Auntie Ida's farmyard. But this time, they meant so much more. He loved me- freckle face, green eyed pixie Ella- over full, beautiful, perfect Meg.

"Don't say that," I tried, but it did not come out sounding as convincing as I had hoped.

"Why not?" Harry came beside me and ran his hands up and over my arms. "I'd be lying if I said I didn't."

I smiled up at him. This moment seemed to carry on, until Riggs called to us. "Hurry up and get over here!" I breathed deep, trying to calm my fears.

Harry squeezed my hand and kissed me softly. "It'll be okay," he whispered as we walked towards the wagon.

There was Riggs and another man sitting at the front of the wagon; Meg in the back with Betsy. When Harry and I got into the back, Meg averted each of our gazes by plucking some nonexistent fibres of her purple dress.

I watched Meg and Harry, individually. Harry seemed oblivious to the situation- healed. Meg was regretful; Meg stole glances when she thought I wasn't looking. 

But I was.

And so was Riggs.

yeah okay i'm sorry but not really lolz.

-beth