.08

Harry looked at me for a few moments, but I didn't meet his gaze. The fact that he had just told me something in the space of eight minutes that my parents had never told me in eighteen years frightened me. In the few days I had come to know Harry, there seemed to be an aura about him that went undefeated. He was invincible; titanium.

He was brave.

 In Roselands, men were not brave. They had money. That's what made them powerful. But Harry- Harry was brave. He had no money, but he was dangerous and treacherous and everything I didn't want to be. Yet something drew me to him. Perhaps it was the quiet strength that he carried, perhaps it was the fact that I was scared and wanted someone to protect me.

I didn't know.

Suddenly, I was talking. I don't remember why I started, or when, or what about. But I was just talking... Talking because i had kept it inside for too long.

And Harry just listened.

Harry's POV

"When I was six, my mum and dad got possession of Roselands. It used to be my grandpa's," she said suddenly in a voice like velvet. "We moved to the south in that summer. Big parties. Even bigger money." Her tone was monotonous, and her brown eyes focused on the barn ahead of her. "It was like a fairytale, I suppose. And my father was the knight in shining armour."

"I never knew about the slaves, I swear. My mother drilled it into my head that they were animals. Less than people." Her voice held conviction, but for what I did not know. "I suppose I believe it. You know? It's easy for you to say, Harry," she said softly, and finally looked at me with her eyes. "You grew up on this side of the Mississippi. You grew up with your mother and Auntie Ida telling you the right thing." Her hand flew up to her face to tuck some hair behind her ear. "I grew up attending parties in tight corsets, listening to the same gossip, over and over again. And everyone- everyone, Harry- hated the slaves. My parents were careful to filter who I talked to, I suppose," she said softer. "I never knew it was wrong."

There was silence. Then she said in a mere whisper. "Well, I thought about it. Once or twice. But it never would've worked. I was the daughter of a cotton tycoon," she snapped viciously. "And I was their only hope for Roselands."

I stayed silent, thinking she might continue. She did not, for a very long time. She simply leaned on the porch railing and then, after a few minutes, she said, "It seems wrong. To think slavery is wrong. It feels like I'm betraying my father."

I spoke slowly. "Ella, listen. Your father's dead. It's your choice what you believe."

She fluttered her eyelashes. "See, I know that. I just don't feel it."

I twisted the cattail in my hands and watched her. She was so beautiful. But I liked her beauty, because it was different. Her face was a little too big, her body a little too skinny. Her nose was too tiny, her eyes too large. But she was unique, and it was the serene strength and calmed chaos inside of her that drew me to her. Sometimes, it's not the outside that matters- rather, the inside,

"Do you want to go swimming?" I found myself asking. She looked at me, trying to hold back a smile.

"I just bared my soul before you and you want to go swimming?"

"Absolutely."

Her eyes flickered. Her mouth twitched. "Well, I wish I could-"

"So, let's go!"

"No, wait-"

But I was already on my feet and prancing towards the creek. I stealthily glanced behind me to check she was following me.

She was.

I slowed, just enough to be brave enough to grab her hand. She bit her lip, looked shocked, but she didn't let go. Then she laughed and started dragging me through the forest. And as we ran, all I could think was this: if I was a leaf, she was the branches.

If I was the earth, she was my gravity.

We ran for what seemed like forever, and, the funny thing is, we didn't get tired. We just kept going, like two wind up toys that got broken. We were free of everything behind us; it was just me and her, being us. And there was no one to tell us no. Or tell us where we should be, or could be at that point in time.

It was just us. Flying.

-x-

Ella's POV

"Aren't you coming in?" He asked as he stripped down to his long johns. I tried to look away, but failed.

"I wish I could," I sighed.

"Why can't you?" He asked as he slipped into the water easily.

"Why do you think?" I snapped.

He didn't say anything. Good. Maybe he's actually listening. But all my hopes were dashed to the ground when two wet hands slithered around my waist and submerged me- fully- in water.

I panicked, flailing my arms around until I found Harry, clutching onto his shoulder and gasping for breath until I finally could see him. He was laughing. I sputtered for breath and whacked him on the shoulder. "I can't swim, you idiot!"

His smile faded quickly and he clutched my waist protectively. "Oh."

I wanted to remain angry at him and hit him again, but I couldn't. I couldn't help it. I laughed, laughed until Harry laughed too, and until our faces were inches apart. His hands moved around my waist again, and I gasped and clutched his neck so that his face was buried in my neck. "Don't let me go, Harry," I warned, and he chuckled against my skin.

"I won't, baby."

I should probably be mad about him calling me that, I thought. But the fact was, I was falling in love with Harry Styles. Falling desperately in love with someone I had only met three days prior to that. Why? Because he was making me feel free, he was breaking my chains and opening my heart to him. So as he looked into my eyes and I into his, I could only think one thing. Whatever this was, I was not letting it go.

For the rest of forever.

 A/N; Dedicated to Rae because she is, most likely, the most amazing person on the planet. And, also, because Signatures made me smile like an idiot and fangirl all. day. long.