prologue

The footsteps sounded, louder, pounding towards the small barrier that held us between them, perfection against the harsh realiy of the world. He sheltered me in his arms, pulling me closer to him until I could scarcely breathe, but it was better than being alone. I felt safe, yet insecure in his arms. Warm, yet cold. Because, although a part of me was ecstatic that he loved me- for me- I knew better than to get my hopes held high. For evil lurked on the very other side of the door, and this moment would only last for a moment. Life is not made up of minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or years, but of moments. You must experience each one before you can appreciate it. 

This was one of my moments.

In that instant, he buried his face in my hair and whispered raspily, "Do you love me?"

I snuggled closer to him, planting a kiss on his jaw. "Of course I do."

"Then you need to run."

My heart beat faster. This was not a moment I wanted to experience. "N-no. Not without you."

He gave a laugh that sounded a tiny bit more like a sob. "Yes, baby. You need to run- run faster than the wind. And when you find your wings, fly. Okay, baby? Fly away,  bluebird."

I found his green eyes in the darkness and swallowed hard. He was serious. This was the moment of impact in my life where everything tilted upside down until I couldn't breathe. Couldn't think. Couldn't do anything but remember that this moment- our moment- may be the last one we ever share.

thanks so much for reading! this is a new historical fiction fanfic, set in the 1800's. hopefully you enjoy it. :) i update sporadically. *cheesy grin* but seriously, ilysm for reading this.