The One Where Merlin Wakes Up

Chapter 38 The One Where Merlin Wakes Up

"It moved!" Harry exclaimed and Morgana stood up so fast her chair got tipped over.

"Are you sure?" She hurried over to the other side of the bed and sat down on her knees so she could take Merlin's hand.

"Positive." Harry responded, but she didn't acknowledge him. She held Merlin's hand like it was a lifeline. Waiting for him to move it or squeeze back.

"We should probably leave them alone." She heard someone say that sounded like Hermione. "We'll come back first thing tomorrow." Hermione gave her shoulder a quick squeeze. She didn't look up, but she saw in the corner of her eye that they left one by one until she was all alone with him.

"Merlin please," She pleaded and used her free hand to stroke his forehead and cheek. "Tell me you are actually waking up. Tell me I didn't fall asleep and this is just a dream." Nothing happened except for the smallest of movements by his little finger. Her heart filled with hope and she settled in to wait the entire night for him to wake up.

She took Ron's unoccupied chair and leaned back to get some rest while still holding Merlin's hand. She heard how Harry talked with McGonagall and soon their footsteps retreated towards the doors. Soon after, Lupin's voice sounded from behind the curtain, telling Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Luna to go back to their dormitories for the night.

After that, only Ron's mother and his brother's fiancée were heard talking softly to each other about the sleeping Bill. Eventually they left to and she was all alone in the hospital wing except for the patients.

Madame Pomfrey didn't come to her once; probably wanted to leave her to grieve in peace.

Not until the sun broke in through the big windows did she stand up. Merlin had started to move his fingers more and more during the night and half an hour ago his eyes had moved under his eyelids like he was dreaming. But she needed to move around a little, get some circulation back in her legs, so she decided to leave Merlin for a few minutes and get something to eat.

Apparently others had had the same thought because when she stepped out from behind the curtain she was greeted by a table filled with food in the middle of the room and round it sat Mrs. Weasley, Mr. Weasley and Fleur.

When Mrs. Weasley saw her, she stood up and walked up to her. Morgana hadn't moved an inch from her place by the curtain, to chocked and emotionally and physically tired to take it all in.

"Come over here and get something to eat, dear." Mrs. Weasley said and guided her back to the table. "You look like you will fall asleep on your feet."

"Thank you." Morgana mumbled an answer and sat down on a free chair. She could feel the others watching her as she took up an apple, but didn't take a bite of it. She just held it against her chest while staring down at the table.

"May I ask," Mrs. Weasley began carefully. "Who is behind the curtain? We heard someone had been hit with a killing curse, but no one would tell us who. Professor McGonagall refused to let us go over and see."

"Oh," Morgana looked up at her. "It's eh... it's Marcus."

"Oh, dear." Mrs. Weasley gasped and covered her mouth with her hands. "That poor boy. He was so young." She started to sob quietly and Mr. Weasley embraced her from the side. Morgana did her best to block it out, she couldn't take anymore crying right now.

"Is he really...?" Mr. Weasley started to ask, but couldn't continue the sentence.

"We all thought he was," Morgana said slowly and started to fiddle with her apple. "But late last night he started to move his finger again and it has only increased during the night."