The Boyfriend

Chapter 2

Grandmother Josephine smiled, "What a beautiful girl you have become Kalli! Now I've heard that you enjoy swimming in the ocean, do you know how dangerous that is?" Grandmother Josephine asked me.

"Yes Grandmother," I had learned not to argue with Grandmother Josephine long ago, we were both very stubborn and had iron-strong wills. "Let me go fix you some tea. Make yourself at home." I said in the calmest manner possible though my pounding heart felt like it was about to fall out of my chest and my mind was going a mile a minute.

"No thank you, I should on my way I'm going to be late for my manicure! I just came to make sure you and Levi here are alright. By the way, where were you?" she said.

"Oh, I was with some friends." I replied quickly.

"Good, what were you doing? It doesn't matter, I have to go if I want to get to my manicure on time! Goodbye Levi, be safe Kalli!" she said as she rushed out the door.

When she had left Uncle Levi let out a contented sigh and said, "Phew, she's gone. That was close! Let's get dinner. I'm starved!"

"No thanks Levi, I just came home to grab a banana and go back out. You wouldn't want me all jittery again would you?"

Uncle Levi shuttered at the memory, "No, go ahead. Maybe I should go with you, remember what Josephine said. Plus I want to check on Mr. Wellington." This remark almost made me cry, Mr. Wellington was a Clown Fish that mom and I named, so he was very special to me.

"Mr. Wellington died, I went to his anemone and he wasn't there, and I don't think clown fishes migrate."

"Oh, honey," this was the first time I'd ever seen Uncle Levi get sappy since my parents died last year. "I know how much he meant to you, but, as it is, he lived longer than normal clown fishes live." This remark made me cry even harder, "Ok, ok, want me to call Mason?" that made me stop crying immediately.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I said. Mason was my best friend and (hopefully) future boyfriend, Uncle Levi knew this and loved to lord it over me. Mason named a lot of the fish on the reef with me. "Can you set it up for the beach? Oh, call his cell, he's not home, thanks!" I grabbed a banana and fresh meat for the sharks, pulled off my dress (I always keep my swimsuit on under my clothes, except for when I took a shower and went to bed), said, "Bye Levi, tell him to go ahead to the reef. Then call me.", grabbed my iPhone, put it into my beach bag and tried to hurry out the door when Uncle Levi said, "Aye, aye captain" and asked if I wanted to take a picnic basket, I weighed my options, picnic on the beach or pizza at home and went with pizza saying, "No, we'll go out later, we could come home the happy couple!" rushing out the door.

Once I got to the reef I was getting ready to jump in the water when Uncle Levi called, he said, "Hey Kalli, Mason should be there any minute. He jumped at the chance of going to the reef with you, I know that he wouldn't do that if he didn't have a thing for you." that made me get so mad at him, but then I saw Mason and all of my anger disappeared.

"I see him, wish me luck. This is going to be awesome!" I hung up before Uncle Levi could respond.

"Hey Kalli!" he said as he flipped his hair out of his eyes. It drove me nuts when he did that, could he tell I wasn't breathing? When I realized I was holding my breath I let it out slowly, so he wouldn't notice. "Are you ready?" he asked me.

"Yeah, let's go check on Dory." I replied, sometimes it took a while for me to snap back into reality when I was with him, but it usually just took a few seconds, but sometimes took minutes. He took his shirt off and, even though I'd seen him do that since we were ten, I gasped. The sun glistened off his 6-pack.