Dreams

***Mason's POV***

Someone cleared their throat. Kalli pulled away slightly and held my hand, her's shaking slightly.

"Mason Davenport I need to see you now please." My mother's voice called.

"They gym's right down the hall, come get me when you're done, I'll be in my room. 30 minutes, no more."

"Ok, she whispered feebly, her face going white. She was DEATHLY afraid of my mom.

"Calm down, I'll be ok."

"I know, am I pale?"

"Yes, are you ok?"

"I'm fine." She clipped.

"Promise me you'll take a nap? It'll be 6 when you're done and the competition is at 8. We'll have time."

"Ok, can you fix dinner?"

"Yeah, babe. I gotta go."

My mom pulled me into dad's office, "Mason! You're spoiling that girl, why couldn't you have settled down with Sophie? There was a reason we set you two up!"

"Mom, Kalli loves me far more than Sophie could EVER love me. You will have to accept her, TALK to her, you'll love her."

My mom softened, "I'm sorry, Mason, I haven't been the best mom but deep down I just want you to be happy."

"I am, far more happy than any man on this planet! Kalli's the perfect mix of original and old-fashioned and... Mom, I've asked her to marry me."

"Oh Mason! I'll have to bond with this girl. When's the wedding?" There was something weird about the way mom was handling this.

"2 years, she's really young." I said, almost like a question, watching the way she reacted to see if she had really found the error of her ways.

"I know." Two simple words that made me almost positive that she was faking being a good mom. She never noticed ANYTHING about my life.

"Well, I have to make dinner."

"What does Kalli like? If I'm bonding with her it better be doing something she likes."

I COULD set her up for failure by telling her that Kalli liked the mall but Kalli's rubbing off on me, I couldn't. "Anything swimming, I'll come with you guys, Kalli's really shy."

"Well I'll get along with her very well! Have fun in Boston, when do you leave?"

"Tomorrow morning at like 5."

"I'll try to be up."

Ok, something was DEFINITELY wrong.

"Thanks, mom. I NEED to go make dinner. What's there food-wise?"

"Well, there's seafood in the fridge."

"Another thing, Kalli HATES seafood." I said, gagging.

"Oh, umm... meatballs in the freezer, pasta in the cabinet, fresh vegetables in the fridge."

"Perfect, bye."

"Do you guys have anything going on tonight?"

"Yeah, we've got a gig at the Bluebird Cafe at 8."

"Ok, I'll be there. Go make her some nice dinner, call me if you need help."

UGHHH, Mom's fake attitude was driving me insane, I just wanted to shout, 'I KNOW YOU'RE FAKING, WOMAN, WHAT'RE YOU PLANNING AND HOW IS IT GOING TO HURT MY GIRL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?' but instead I said, "Thanks for finally acting like a mom, mom." Hoping to convict her. As usual, she wasn't showing any signs of breaking.