Chapter 6

VI

Kostek walked slowly through the night, his mind occupied by his latest training session with Gwaynn. The boy’s improved stamina was giving his new master fits. The lad had scored two hits on him tonight, and scored at least one nearly every night in the last week. His growing skill could no longer be ignored. The Tar was sure that Gwaynn could at least match the skills of Hotch, his fourth year student, which was beyond belief. Clearly, Gwaynn retained more of his training with Master Sath than he realized, but it was hard to know for sure because Gwaynn was not like any other student Kostek had ever worked with. The boy was relentlessly aggressive, recklessly so, and Kostek knew that eventually such aggressiveness would need to be tempered. But at the moment he was at a loss as to how. Gwaynn fought fearlessly, and when Kostek stressed that every hit he scored would have meant death on the battlefield, the boy had just shrugged.

“I’ve already died twice,” he’d answered and dove in once again for the attack. Kostek shook his head at such an aggressive style of fighting and as he moved up the steps to the Grand Hall he wondered how his students would handle it.

Tar Amon was waiting for him at the top of the stairs.

“Our visitor is progressing?” Amon inquired softly, with a hand outstretched in greeting.

“Faster than I would ever have thought possible,” Kostek answered, as Amon led him inside and to his private rooms.

“He has potential then?” Amon asked, not fully realizing Gwaynn’s quickly improving abilities. Kostek did not hold it against his Master. He would not have believed it was possible either. Kostek took a seat in a cushioned chair in front of a small oak desk as Amon moved behind it.

“Potential to be the Island’s best pupil,” Kostek answered. Amon’s head came up swiftly and he raised his eyebrows, but said nothing for several moments.

“Our best?”

Kostek nodded his head silently.

“This must be kept quiet,” Amon finally said, breaking the silence and surprising Kostek. “Especially now,” he added and handed an official looking letter to his most trusted comrade.

Kostek read the letter, which actually was an invitation to celebrate, for the High King of the Islands had announced his intentions to wed the Lady Audra Deutzani, daughter of King Arsinol Deutzani.

“I think we have the reason for the High King’s decision to aid the Deutzani in the attack on the Massi,” Amon stated when Kostek looked up from the paper he was holding.

“The Lady Audra?” Kostek asked trying to understand.

“The youngest. She is only just turned fourteen,” Amon explained. “She is said to be extraordinarily beautiful.”

“Fourteen?” Kostek said, thinking aloud, knowing that the High King Mastoc was nearing forty. His first wife, Queen Eleanor of the Montoray, had died in childbirth nearly ten years ago giving birth to Princess Anya. Prince Nigel, their only son was already nineteen.

Amon nodded. “Arsinol demanded a high price for his youngest.”

“If it gets out that the Temple Knights aided in the downfall of the Massi for a woman…for a girl, it will mean civil war, possibly war without end.”

“Those were my thoughts exactly when Gwaynn first came to us.”

“Yet you let me begin to train him?”

“I’ve already decided that the boy’s fate will not be decided by us,” Amon said.

“But we are helping him!” Kostek protested.