Chapter 3

III

Late the following afternoon Tar Kostek ran along the beach with two of his pupils. They were running on the wet sand right at the water line in an effort to build leg muscle. Both pupils held promise, but the younger female, Vio, was a natural, and Kostek was sure that one day she would be the Island’s top runner. Her stamina now was already extremely impressive and she had no trouble keeping up with either of them, even though Kostek was a Tar, which meant proven one, and Krys was the current top runner in Kostek’s quarter. Young though she was, Vio was second and closing. They were not racing for speed now however, but instead for endurance. Vio, naturally playful, as were most thirteen year olds, noticed a large group of gulls flying up ahead and increased her speed, curious as to what had drawn them all together. Krys, seeing her pulling ahead increased his speed as well, a natural competitor. Kostek let them go. They had already made over five miles and he was beginning to tire. No one could out run age it seemed.

He watched from slightly behind as Krys came up alongside Vio, but she was not having it and increased her speed even more. Krys matched her. Kostek sighed and sped up as well, as did Vio and soon they were all racing along close to full speed until Vio suddenly stopped. She bent over breathing hard, but was staring intently at something up ahead. Krys ran past her a ways, thinking she was at the end of her endurance, but he had not gone too far before he came up short also. Kostek slowed, but continued to run until he was even with Vio, who was now walking slowly forward.

The naked bodies that attracted the gulls stood out starkly against the white sand. At first Kostek thought that the birds were feeding on both, but after a moment he could tell that they were for some reason leaving the smaller of the two alone, and instead concentrating on the larger body. He and Vio quickly caught up to Krys, who had stopped moving, then they all rushed forward together. The gulls screamed in protest and scattered up into the air. Kostek ran to the smaller body, because it was very clear that the larger of the two was already dead. Vio and Krys came up behind him.

Kostek turned over the body over. It was a young man, a boy really, whose skin was burnt a blistering red, and whose lips were chapped and swollen. At first Kostek could detect no signs of life, but then he felt a very faint heartbeat.

“Is he alive?” Vio asked, her gaze going from the boy to the decaying body of the larger man and back.

“Yes,” Kostek said. “Please give me your water.” Vio did as she was asked and Kostek very carefully wet his fingers and put them to the boy’s lips. There was no reaction, but the Tar kept at it very patiently. Finally the boy’s tongue moved seeking water.

“Vio, you need to run back and bring help. Krys and I will move the boy to shade,” Kostek said simply, looking about for any possible shelter. “Tell them to bring the wagon.”

Vio nodded, looking down at the boy with concern. Krys handed her his water skin, but said nothing.

“Hurry Vio,” Kostek added without raising his voice. The girl jumped in any event, then without a word headed back the way they had come at a strong, steady pace.

Kostek continued to drip water between the boy’s lips but knew that they had to get him out of the sun, and soon.

“Krys, find some shelter, as close as possible. Needn’t be much, we just have to get him into some shade,” he said and the lad immediately set off. He returned only a few minutes later and together they carried the survivor gently up the beach until they reached a tall dune with wild grasses growing on the seaside. At this time of day the height of the dune effectively blocked the sun. They put the boy down carefully in the sand and then each pulled up clumps of sea grasses. They laid them out carefully, forming a crude bed and then moved the boy one last time. Then they settled down to wait, Kostek tending to his patient almost constantly.