Chapter 8: Shattered Glass

We took three days to recover enough to leave our beds, which really angered Isabella. When she tried to get out of bed when she originally woke up, Annabeth and Percy swarmed her like bees and forced her to stay. They had to result to tying her to the bed. After two hours of being imprisoned, she broke out. Annabeth and Percy had stopped giving me ambrosia and nectar, so Isabella walked over to me without any struggle and started feeding me the pudding-like substance.

"Your eyes were black." I said after a minute or two. Isabella looked up from the container of ambrosia and stared into my eyes like she was seeing me for the first time.

A moment later she looked away, her eyes shining like glass. "So were yours." She looked back at me. Her eyes were starting to look like shattering glass.

"Your soul is really broken, I can see it in your eyes....what is your full name, Isabella?" Nico asked.

"Isabella Leah Nightshade." she said automatically.

"Your real  full name. That's only part of it. Then me the truth." I insisted.

Isabella was silent for a few minutes then whispered, almost inaudible, "Isabella Leah Nightshade Di..." then she stopped, as if she was choking on her words.

"Continue please." then I got a mouth full of pudding.

"Di Amoria! Isabella Leah Nightshade Di Amoria! There! You satisfies now?!" Her anger suddenly turned to tears and her glassy eyes finally shattered. She collapsed onto the floor next to my bed and started sobbing into her knees, which she had pulled up close to her body and hugged them.

I slipped out of bed and swung my legs off it, joining her on the floor. I awkwardly stroked her back and tried to calm her down. "I'm sorry. I didn't know that you would get so upset over your name. Not many people are-"

"Nobody else gets upset over their name, just me." She said in between sobs.

"I didn't know, Isabella. Can you please tell me? I won't laugh, I promise."

"Don't say those words. Their full of lies and deception. They're words that can kill from the inside."

"What words?" I ask curiously.

"I Promise. Never, never, say those words to me. 'I promise' are the same words that shattered me. I cannot afford for them to break me again." Isabella said in a cracking voice. She truly was like broken glass.

"I'm sorry," I said again, "I will not  promise anything, but can you please tell me? I want to help you if I can."

"Nobody can help me now. I'm going on a quest with will kill me, I feel it."

"How do you know that you will die?" I ask, curiously.

"Because I am broken! No one seems to realize how impossibly fragile I am. One wrong move and I am dead for good. Although it wouldn't be that bad, dying. I could end my eternal misery early, go to Asphodel, drift forever and soon, forget about everything that ever happened to me." Isabella thought out loud.

"That wouldn't happen. Demigods go to Elysium when the die. Live a pleasant life in the Underworld, free of troubles. I've thought about the same thing in my life too. I know how it feels, just wanting to die already. End the pain there and forget, but that doesn't happen. Not for you at least. People with broken souls, if they don't die during the process, which is rare, cannot ever die until there soul is whole again.You could live for thousands of years, for all eternity if it came to that, before you completed your soul and died, either of old age or suicide." I told her.

"That just makes my life even more depressing, Nico. Thanks for telling me that I could live forever and not be free of misery. Have all of my troubles locked inside of my head for all  eternity."Isabella broke off and started sobbing again so much that her whole body shook violently. I felt awkward but I gently wrapped an arm around her shaking shoulders. Suddenly, she was hugging me back, crying into my shoulder.