Chapter 4: I'm a What!?

Annabeth showed me everything. There was a giant arena where people were practicing with real swords. Awesome! There was an armory next to that full of weapons that kids were making themselves, not really my speed, goat people(who are apparently called satyrs)  were playing woodland music in some strawberry fields making the plants grow like crazy, that was just weird. Also an open air pavilion sat on a hill near the sea, there was a huge house to the south that was painted sky blue, a little lake that I made a mental note to stay away from(I cannot swim!), a volleyball court where kids and goat people were playing, a climbing wall that shook violently, spilled lava, threw boulders, and smashed together if you didn't get to the top quick enough, and an arts and crafts area where people were making life like sculptures. The cabins were the weirdest part though. None of them looked alike besides a bronze number above the doorframe. They surrounded a commons area with basketball courts, fountains, and a giant fireplace that was smoldering in the autumn morning glow.

I liked the whole place, it was truly awesome but I felt like I didn't belong. "Why am I here?"

Annabeth looked over at me casually. "Because you are supposed to be here."

"No I'm not. I'm not like any of these people. How am I supposed to be here?" I replied, solemnly.

"Because you are like us. You're a demigod, Isabella. We all are. All children of Greek Gods." Annabeth said.

"The Greek gods, like Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Hera, Artemis, Apollo, Athena, Hephaestus, Dionysus, Hermes, Aphrodite, Ares, Hestia, Nemesis, Iris, Nike, Leto..." I questioned.

"Exactly. Wow, you know a lot for a new camper. You have history with Greek Mythology?"

"My dad taught me all of the myths when I was little before... never mind. But he taught me them, said that they would be essential to my survival later. I guess he was right." I replied, trying to ward off the bad memories. Annabeth didn't press me for answers, she probably has dealt with new campers like me who have a difficult past.

"So, "I said, anxious to change the subject, "If I'm a demigod, then who is my mom?"

"I do not know. You have not been claimed yet but it will happen soon, at the latest, the campfire." Annabeth responded. A conch horn blew in the distance. "Dinner time. Follow me." Then she lead me to the pavilion and I sat with the Athena Cabin, a bunch of serious athletic looking kids who all had Annabeth's honey blond hair and stormy gray eyes. The strange thing was, I felt a sort of connection. I had the looks of the Athena kids, blond hair and prized gray eyes that always startled my teachers when they first saw me.

When all of the campers were at their tables, I looked around. I saw Mitch hanging out with his new siblings, having a great time. Percy sat alone at a table and I felt sorry for him. "Annabeth?"

"Yeah, Isabel?" Annabeth said.

"Why is Percy alone? Couldn't he just sit with you or vice versa?" I asked, not getting startled by Isabel.

"Well you see, each table is for each god or goddess. Percy is alone because there are no other children of Poseidon at this camp. As you can see, some of the tables are not even occupied like the Artemis table. That is because she has not children-"

"-because she is an eternal maiden." I finished.

"Exactly, so, like her cabin, the table is just honorary. But some of the tables do get used, such as the Hades table and cabin. A kid, Nico Di Angelo sometimes comes to camp when he is not in the Underworld. He did come back, but I do not know where he is. Chiron said that he went into the Big House but he has not been seen since. It worries me." Annabeth explained.